The Rays plan to call up Delmon Young on Sunday

Aug 31, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT

Delmon Young

Delmon Young will be one of three players added to the Tampa Bay roster on Sunday, when rosters expand, writes Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. The Rays plan to use Young as a designated hitter against left-handed pitchers and even some right-handers as well. Young was signed by the Phillies in January but released on August 14 after a disappointing season in which he posted a .699 OPS with shoddy defense.

The Rays picked up Young on a Minor League deal on August 22 and had him report to Double-A Montgomery. In seven games, he hit .233 with one home run. This will be Young’s second stint with the Rays as he was initially the organization’s #1 overall pick in the 2003 draft.

Topkin also notes that catcher Chris Gimenez and pitcher Josh Lueke will be called up along with Young on Sunday.

1. scotttheskeptic - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Calling his defense, “shoddy,” is an insult to shoddy defenders everywhere.

• brentphillip - Sep 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

like Thomas implied I am alarmed that any one able to earn $5546 in one month on the computer. have you seen this site link > —- ℬAℛ17.Ⅽ­OⅯ
      Go to website and click Home tab for more details. ѕiтe.❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

2. indaburg - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM

My Saturday is not improving.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:45 PM

With Luke Scott coming off the DL tomorrow, Mighty D. Young will probably have limited at bats.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

So, a rapist, an anti-semite and a backup catcher walk into a tumulus …

In all seriousness though, Mr. Young, I’d like you to meet Sam Fuld. Don’t worry, Sam’s one of the good ones.

• indaburg - Aug 31, 2013 at 7:09 PM

If Young says but one ill word to Mr. Fuld, he will face the wrath of my 4 year old. She’s far meaner than me, and she bites.

Don’t forget the dumb homophobe (Yunel) and the birther pig spear hunting freak. He’s coming back tomorrow. I think PC thought he was cheering me up by reminding me.

Our Merry Band of Misfits. Not just nitwits.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Bonding in the lockerroom over shared intolerances – the old fashioned way.

• nbjays - Aug 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Doom!

• historiophiliac - Aug 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I was gonna say that!

• proudlycanadian - Aug 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I remember The Misfits starring Clarke Gable, Marilyn Monroe, and Montgomery Clift with Thelma Ritter and Eli Wallach. Your team does have some semblance to that bunch.

• historiophiliac - Aug 31, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Add rum.

• indaburg - Sep 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I couldn’t drink last night. I was already hungover from Friday night. I wish I was kidding. I also discovered that chocolate milk and spiced rum is delicious. At this rate, the Rays are going to turn me into a lush.

• historiophiliac - Sep 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

That sounds horrible! (and too heavy in this heat) Surprisingly, I’ve only had 2 beers all weekend. I’m thinking of making tinto de verano later.

• indaburg - Sep 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM

It was delicious and surprisingly, not heavy at all. I used almond milk and it was on ice, so it was quite light and refreshing. My part of Florida is also not as hot as you are right now. You have the worst of both worlds, IMO. The problem is I could taste absolutely no alcohol in it, so I kept pouring more rum in it. All I could taste was cold chocolate. Very dangerous.

Tinto verano sounds good. I’m still drying out. The Rays better start winning.

• historiophiliac - Sep 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I do have the worst of both worlds. I am seriously considering moving next year. I could actually see where spiced milk could get you in trouble. Mmmm, white Russians. The benefit of the sprtizer is it’s cheap and cuts calories — important for holiday day drinking. :)

• indaburg - Sep 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM

That’s why almond milk worked well–60 kcals per serving, so it was fairly lo-cal too, all thing considering.

Where are you considering moving?

Bases loaded and 1 out for the A’s in the 1st. I am NOT going to drink today. I am NOT going to drink today. (A cold beer would go so nicely with the salmon I’m about to grill… sigh… one beer…)

• historiophiliac - Sep 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

My step-sister and her husband moved to the Seattle area a couple of years ago. She has been lobbying for me to come up there. She sends me text teasers all the time….like pics of them at a Mariners game…and reminders that the Tigers come to town every year and I wouldn’t have to drive south to see them anymore. lol

• indaburg - Sep 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Seattle is a definite upgrade. My oldest and dearest friend–we’ve known each other since we were 11 years old–recently moved there with her little girl and her husband. She’s lived in Ireland, and she says the weather reminds her of Ireland. I didn’t mind the weather there when I visited. And there is an MLB team… sorta… at least once every five games when King Felix pitches… ;-) I kid, I kid. Iwakuma has been very good for them.

• historiophiliac - Sep 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I’m sure it’s better than a Rockies farm team. lol

I’m looking into the economy/job factors now. We’ll see.

• indaburg - Sep 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Phew! Double play! My sobriety is intact. :-)

• historiophiliac - Sep 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Indians grand slam in the 9th — Seriously, V is turning into the worst drinking game EVER. :(

• indaburg - Sep 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM

He’s having a rough year (understatement). Curse of the big contract?

From the Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology:
        “In the present study, player statistics were obtained on 33 major league baseball free agents for two seasons prior to, and two seasons after, the signing of the contract. Results suggest that the new contract, particularly its substantial pay raise, caused a decrease in immediate postcontract performance. In addition, there was some evidence that performance output recovered to its precontract level in the second season postcontract. Findings are discussed with respect to previous work on intrinsic to extrinsic motivational shifts and the overjustification effect.” — http://journals.humankinetics.com/jsep-back-issues/jsepvolume23issue1march/performanceunderminingeffectsofbaseballfreeagentcontracts

He wasn’t a free agent, but he did get the big contract. Similar effect? Good news is he should be back to form next year. And for fantasy baseball, he might come a little cheaper since he’s coming off a down year.

• historiophiliac - Sep 1, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Well, that gets Kate Upton off the hook.

• indaburg - Sep 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Well, we need a larger sample size to see if there is a Kate Upton Break Up Effect.

• historiophiliac - Sep 1, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I’m sure it breaks a lot of men.

• indaburg - Sep 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I’m sure we’d have no shortage of volunteers for a research study. I somehow doubt she would be willing. She may have better things to do. Although, if we explain to her that it’s for science…

So, your boys get the Dirty Sawx next. Sigh. I hope your boys whip them for your team’s sake. The way my team is playing, I don’t know if it matters for the Rays. They are looking awful. I just saw our center fielder Jennings misplay a routine fly ball. Earlier, Longoria uncharacteristically overthrew a ball to first. Myers got thrown out at the plate for the third out on a sharply hit ball to the outfield. Jobu helps those who help themselves.

3. atfinch2013 - Aug 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM

The Reds are my favorite team. This doesn’t matter.

4. surefooted1 - Aug 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Wait..How many games does Tampa have left in NY?

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB