The Tigers haven’t made a decision on Jhonny Peralta’s playoff status

Aug 31, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT

Peralta sign Reuters Reuters

While the Rangers are prepared to welcome Nelson Cruz back for the playoffs after his completes his 50-game suspension for his involvement with Biogenesis, the Tigers aren’t ready to say the same for Jhonny Peralta.

According to Chris Iott of MLive.com, Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski responded to inquiries on Peralta’s status yesterday by saying via email that no decision has been made.

“We have not made any decisions on Jhonny’s situation to date,” Dombrowski said.

Peralta was batting .305/.361/.461 with 11 home runs and 54 RBI over 104 games prior to the suspension and was named to his second All-Star team back in July. The Tigers acquired Jose Iglesias from the Red Sox in a three-team trade last month and appear content with him as their starting shortstop, so it sounds like they could go the Melky Cabrera route and simply tell him to stay home. Of course, injuries could change things.

Peralta, 31, is due to become a free agent this winter. With Iglesias in-house, Iott writes that “it seems abundantly clear” that the Tigers will not have any interest in re-signing him.

1. historiophiliac - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I’m kinda ambivalent on it myself. I love Little Sexy Fire. He’s such a great asset for our defense, which we are obviously not known for. He is practically a necessity for us there. But, I miss Jhonny’s great bat this season and he’s got a history with the team. He’s a part of it and part of the reason we’ll be going to the post-season. How do you not let him have a turn at that? Still, he wasn’t thinking of the team when he broke policy. Is the right thing to let him play in the post-season and then let him go after that? I lean that way…but then I watch the sexy plays Iglesias makes and I’m gone.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM

There’s no need for the Tiggers to rush to jhudgement.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM

You don’t want to jhump to conclusions.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

You might want to get Iggy with it at the same time you’re getting Jhiggy with it. Why make it an either/or situation?

• nickswishersneck - Aug 31, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I think the Tigers might bring him back, and if Miggy is still having injury problems, they could move Iggy to 3B, Jhonny to SS (or vice versa), put VMart at catcher and Miggy DH. I can see them doing this in the playoffs and the Series.

2. rbj1 - Aug 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Miggy’s not a great defensive third base man, I’d rather have a better better defender at shortstop, Tigers have enough offense as is.

3. Old Gator - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Great sign that fan’s holding up.

4. joerymi - Aug 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM

They are a better team with Iglesias. Easy decision as far as I can tell.

My guess:
    If it is up to Leyland, Peralta will be back.

If it is Dombroswki making the final call, he would rather Castellanos get a shot at that roster spot (assuming they call him up).

5. philliesblow - Aug 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM

A lot depends on Miggy’s health. Jhonny has 3B experience and would be the best option as back up if Miggy is less than 100%.

6. mudhead123 - Sep 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Did you use enough “nicknames” in one sentence? Wow!

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey