Aug 31, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
While the Rangers are prepared to welcome Nelson Cruz back for the playoffs after his completes his 50-game suspension for his involvement with Biogenesis, the Tigers aren’t ready to say the same for Jhonny Peralta.
According to Chris Iott of MLive.com, Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski responded to inquiries on Peralta’s status yesterday by saying via email that no decision has been made.
“We have not made any decisions on Jhonny’s situation to date,” Dombrowski said.
Peralta was batting .305/.361/.461 with 11 home runs and 54 RBI over 104 games prior to the suspension and was named to his second All-Star team back in July. The Tigers acquired Jose Iglesias from the Red Sox in a three-team trade last month and appear content with him as their starting shortstop, so it sounds like they could go the Melky Cabrera route and simply tell him to stay home. Of course, injuries could change things.
Peralta, 31, is due to become a free agent this winter. With Iglesias in-house, Iott writes that “it seems abundantly clear” that the Tigers will not have any interest in re-signing him.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)