Aug 31, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
While the Rangers are prepared to welcome Nelson Cruz back for the playoffs after his completes his 50-game suspension for his involvement with Biogenesis, the Tigers aren’t ready to say the same for Jhonny Peralta.
According to Chris Iott of MLive.com, Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski responded to inquiries on Peralta’s status yesterday by saying via email that no decision has been made.
“We have not made any decisions on Jhonny’s situation to date,” Dombrowski said.
Peralta was batting .305/.361/.461 with 11 home runs and 54 RBI over 104 games prior to the suspension and was named to his second All-Star team back in July. The Tigers acquired Jose Iglesias from the Red Sox in a three-team trade last month and appear content with him as their starting shortstop, so it sounds like they could go the Melky Cabrera route and simply tell him to stay home. Of course, injuries could change things.
Peralta, 31, is due to become a free agent this winter. With Iglesias in-house, Iott writes that “it seems abundantly clear” that the Tigers will not have any interest in re-signing him.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 36
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 30
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 86
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)