Aug 31, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
While the Rangers are prepared to welcome Nelson Cruz back for the playoffs after his completes his 50-game suspension for his involvement with Biogenesis, the Tigers aren’t ready to say the same for Jhonny Peralta.
According to Chris Iott of MLive.com, Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski responded to inquiries on Peralta’s status yesterday by saying via email that no decision has been made.
“We have not made any decisions on Jhonny’s situation to date,” Dombrowski said.
Peralta was batting .305/.361/.461 with 11 home runs and 54 RBI over 104 games prior to the suspension and was named to his second All-Star team back in July. The Tigers acquired Jose Iglesias from the Red Sox in a three-team trade last month and appear content with him as their starting shortstop, so it sounds like they could go the Melky Cabrera route and simply tell him to stay home. Of course, injuries could change things.
Peralta, 31, is due to become a free agent this winter. With Iglesias in-house, Iott writes that “it seems abundantly clear” that the Tigers will not have any interest in re-signing him.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)