Sep 1, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
24-year-old rookie Brett Oberholtzer blanked the Mariners over nine innings this afternoon, becoming the first Astro to throw a complete game since Jordan Lyles on September 30 last year. Lyles was also the last to throw a shutout.
Oberholtzer allowed just four hits and one walk while striking out five. Mariners starter Hisashi Iwakuma was nearly as good, holding the Astros scoreless through seven on six hits and a walk while striking out seven. The Astros victimized reliever Charlie Furbush in the eighth to give their starter some support. Jose Altuve and Jason Castro hit back-to-back doubles to lead off the eighth. Castro would later score on a bunt single by Brandon Barnes.
Oberholtzer worked around a one-out single in the ninth to wrap up the shutout.
|Jordan Lyles||2012-09-30||HOU||MIL||W 7-0||9.0||4||0||0||1||3||103|
|Lucas Harrell||2012-06-27||HOU||SDP||W 1-0||9.0||6||0||0||4||7||109|
|Dallas Keuchel||2012-06-23||HOU||CLE||W 8-1||9.0||6||1||1||1||3||108|
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)