Sep 1, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
24-year-old rookie Brett Oberholtzer blanked the Mariners over nine innings this afternoon, becoming the first Astro to throw a complete game since Jordan Lyles on September 30 last year. Lyles was also the last to throw a shutout.
Oberholtzer allowed just four hits and one walk while striking out five. Mariners starter Hisashi Iwakuma was nearly as good, holding the Astros scoreless through seven on six hits and a walk while striking out seven. The Astros victimized reliever Charlie Furbush in the eighth to give their starter some support. Jose Altuve and Jason Castro hit back-to-back doubles to lead off the eighth. Castro would later score on a bunt single by Brandon Barnes.
Oberholtzer worked around a one-out single in the ninth to wrap up the shutout.
|Jordan Lyles||2012-09-30||HOU||MIL||W 7-0||9.0||4||0||0||1||3||103|
|Lucas Harrell||2012-06-27||HOU||SDP||W 1-0||9.0||6||0||0||4||7||109|
|Dallas Keuchel||2012-06-23||HOU||CLE||W 8-1||9.0||6||1||1||1||3||108|
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)