Sep 1, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
24-year-old rookie Brett Oberholtzer blanked the Mariners over nine innings this afternoon, becoming the first Astro to throw a complete game since Jordan Lyles on September 30 last year. Lyles was also the last to throw a shutout.
Oberholtzer allowed just four hits and one walk while striking out five. Mariners starter Hisashi Iwakuma was nearly as good, holding the Astros scoreless through seven on six hits and a walk while striking out seven. The Astros victimized reliever Charlie Furbush in the eighth to give their starter some support. Jose Altuve and Jason Castro hit back-to-back doubles to lead off the eighth. Castro would later score on a bunt single by Brandon Barnes.
Oberholtzer worked around a one-out single in the ninth to wrap up the shutout.
|Jordan Lyles||2012-09-30||HOU||MIL||W 7-0||9.0||4||0||0||1||3||103|
|Lucas Harrell||2012-06-27||HOU||SDP||W 1-0||9.0||6||0||0||4||7||109|
|Dallas Keuchel||2012-06-23||HOU||CLE||W 8-1||9.0||6||1||1||1||3||108|
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)