Sep 1, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
As first relayed by Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have activated backup catcher Tony Cruz from the 15-day disabled list. Adron Chambers was recalled from Triple-A Memphis in the Cardinals’ only other September 1 roster move.
Cruz played a whole month with a painful stress fracture in his right forearm and was finally given two weeks off when Yadier Molina was deemed fit to return from his sprained right knee on August 15.
Cruz will serve as Molina’s primary backup down the stretch with Rob Johnson falling back into more of an emergency third catcher role. Cruz, 27, is a .241/.279/.338 hitter in 130 career major league games.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)