Sep 1, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
As first relayed by Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have activated backup catcher Tony Cruz from the 15-day disabled list. Adron Chambers was recalled from Triple-A Memphis in the Cardinals’ only other September 1 roster move.
Cruz played a whole month with a painful stress fracture in his right forearm and was finally given two weeks off when Yadier Molina was deemed fit to return from his sprained right knee on August 15.
Cruz will serve as Molina’s primary backup down the stretch with Rob Johnson falling back into more of an emergency third catcher role. Cruz, 27, is a .241/.279/.338 hitter in 130 career major league games.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)