Sep 1, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com that veteran outfielder Carlos Beltran began experiencing tightness in his lower back near the end of Saturday’s loss to the Pirates and will not be in the starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale at PNC Park.
The back tightness is not a serious concern.
Beltran is batting .310/.343/.522 with 23 home runs and 71 RBI in 122 games this season. He owns an .853 OPS (132 OPS+), 55 home runs and 168 RBI in 273 games since agreeing to a bargain two-year, $26 million contract before the start of the 2012 campaign.
The Cardinals currently trail the Pirates by one game in the National League Central standings.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)