Sep 1, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
Justin Morneau caught the first plane that he could after learning he had been traded to the Pirates on Saturday afternoon, but the Twins were down in Arlington, Texas and the first baseman didn’t make it to Pittsburgh’s PNC Park in time for the start of Saturday night’s game against the Cardinals. Instead he showed up in the Bucs’ dugout — bats and glove in hand — just before the top of the sixth inning.
The Pirates beat St. Louis 7-1 and now boast a one-game lead in the National League Central.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)