Sep 1, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
Justin Morneau caught the first plane that he could after learning he had been traded to the Pirates on Saturday afternoon, but the Twins were down in Arlington, Texas and the first baseman didn’t make it to Pittsburgh’s PNC Park in time for the start of Saturday night’s game against the Cardinals. Instead he showed up in the Bucs’ dugout — bats and glove in hand — just before the top of the sixth inning.
The Pirates beat St. Louis 7-1 and now boast a one-game lead in the National League Central.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)