Sep 1, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
Justin Morneau caught the first plane that he could after learning he had been traded to the Pirates on Saturday afternoon, but the Twins were down in Arlington, Texas and the first baseman didn’t make it to Pittsburgh’s PNC Park in time for the start of Saturday night’s game against the Cardinals. Instead he showed up in the Bucs’ dugout — bats and glove in hand — just before the top of the sixth inning.
The Pirates beat St. Louis 7-1 and now boast a one-game lead in the National League Central.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 3
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 30
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)