Sep 1, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Mets outfielder Matt den Dekker, making this third career start tonight against the Nationals, blasted a Ross Ohlendorf fastball into the upper deck in right field at Nationals Park for his first career home run.
Den Dekker literally went to the upper deck. His twitter handle is @upperdekker. Bench gave him silent treatment.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) September 2, 2013
den Dekker spent most of this season with Triple-A Las Vegas, posting an .852 OPS in 202 trips to the plate.
The solo homer put the Mets up 3-0 early as they attempt to complete a series sweep of the Nats, whose playoff hopes are fading quickly. Nationals manager Davey Johnson called dropping a series to the Mets “one of my worst nightmares”. A series sweep with his team’s playoff chances on life support must then be the seventh circle of hell.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 58
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)