Sep 1, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Mets outfielder Matt den Dekker, making this third career start tonight against the Nationals, blasted a Ross Ohlendorf fastball into the upper deck in right field at Nationals Park for his first career home run.
Den Dekker literally went to the upper deck. His twitter handle is @upperdekker. Bench gave him silent treatment.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) September 2, 2013
den Dekker spent most of this season with Triple-A Las Vegas, posting an .852 OPS in 202 trips to the plate.
The solo homer put the Mets up 3-0 early as they attempt to complete a series sweep of the Nats, whose playoff hopes are fading quickly. Nationals manager Davey Johnson called dropping a series to the Mets “one of my worst nightmares”. A series sweep with his team’s playoff chances on life support must then be the seventh circle of hell.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)