Sep 1, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Mets outfielder Matt den Dekker, making this third career start tonight against the Nationals, blasted a Ross Ohlendorf fastball into the upper deck in right field at Nationals Park for his first career home run.
Den Dekker literally went to the upper deck. His twitter handle is @upperdekker. Bench gave him silent treatment.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) September 2, 2013
den Dekker spent most of this season with Triple-A Las Vegas, posting an .852 OPS in 202 trips to the plate.
The solo homer put the Mets up 3-0 early as they attempt to complete a series sweep of the Nats, whose playoff hopes are fading quickly. Nationals manager Davey Johnson called dropping a series to the Mets “one of my worst nightmares”. A series sweep with his team’s playoff chances on life support must then be the seventh circle of hell.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 8
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 3
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 7
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (86)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)