Sep 1, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Mets outfielder Matt den Dekker, making this third career start tonight against the Nationals, blasted a Ross Ohlendorf fastball into the upper deck in right field at Nationals Park for his first career home run.
Den Dekker literally went to the upper deck. His twitter handle is @upperdekker. Bench gave him silent treatment.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) September 2, 2013
den Dekker spent most of this season with Triple-A Las Vegas, posting an .852 OPS in 202 trips to the plate.
The solo homer put the Mets up 3-0 early as they attempt to complete a series sweep of the Nats, whose playoff hopes are fading quickly. Nationals manager Davey Johnson called dropping a series to the Mets “one of my worst nightmares”. A series sweep with his team’s playoff chances on life support must then be the seventh circle of hell.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)