Sep 1, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
The Cardinals acquired right-handed reliever John Axford from the Brewers on Friday for a player to be named later. And that player has now been named.
As first reported by beat writer Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cards have sent right-hander Michael Blazek to Milwaukee to complete the one-for-one swap. Blazek is going to join the Brewers’ bullpen immediately and will presumably pitch out of a middle relief role down the stretch.
The 24-year-old has some experience as a starter in the minors, but he’s been much more effective as a reliever. Blazek had a promising 1.97 ERA with 52 strikeouts through 45 2/3 innings this year in the Cardinals’ minor league system.
Axford made his debut for St. Louis on Saturday night with an eight-pitch scoreless frame.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)