Sep 1, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
Rangers reliever-turned-starter-turned-reliever Neftali Feliz made his 2013 debut against the Twins this afternoon, recording five outs, surrendering just one hit and recording two strikeouts. He came on in relief of starter Travis Blackley with two outs in the fifth. Against Darin Mastroianni, Feliz showcased all four of his pitches, including a fastball that touched 94 MPH, about the same level where it was last year.
Feliz went on the disabled list with an elbow injury last year after a start against the Astros on May 18. He underwent Tommy John surgery on August 1. Prior to his injury, he had compiled a 3.16 ERA in 42.2 innings spanning seven starts and one relief appearance.
The Rangers couldn’t muster much of an offensive attack as Twins starter Kevin Correia pitched seven solid innings. Reliever Jared Burton surrendered a solo home run to A.J. Pierzynski in the bottom of the eighth, but that was all. Glen Perkins pitched a perfect ninth with two strikeouts to notch his 32nd save of the season.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)