Sep 1, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
From FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi comes word that the Rangers have activated Lance Berkman and Neftali Feliz from their respective disabled list stints as part of a collection of roster moves coinciding with the September 1 expansion of major league rosters.
Berkman has been sidelined since the first week of July with hip and knee issues and is expected to have a limited role out of the gate. The 37-year-old has made only 379 plate appearances since the beginning of the 2012 season and was said to be considering sudden retirement earlier this summer.
Feliz has been rehabbing from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery for the past 14 months. He’ll be used as a reliever through the end of the 2013 regular season and playoffs, but the talented 25-year-old right-hander should be given the opportunity to pitch his way back into a rotation spot next spring.
Texas (79-56) is currently two games up on Oakland (77-58) in the American League West standings.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)