Sep 1, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Daniel Bard’s hopes of rejoining the Red Sox sometime in September have just been tarnished.
According to beat writer Alex Speier of WEEI.com, the right-hander was designated for assignment on Sunday morning to clear a 40-man roster spot for new outfielder Quintin Berry. The Red Sox also added catcher Ryan Lavarnway, right-handed reliever Rubby De La Rosa and third baseman Brandon Snyder in a flurry of September moves.
Bard recently resumed pitching in minor league games after missing three months with a severe abdominal strain and the early returns have not been good. Bard walked five of the six batters he faced Thursday afternoon in a Gulf Coast League game and issued four more walks Saturday night in a one-inning appearance with the Low-A Lowell Spinners.
Bard posted a 2.62 ERA, 0.98 WHIP and 9.1 K/9 in 147 2/3 innings for the Red Sox in 2010 and 2011, but he struggled mightily in 2012 and now the 28-year-old from North Carolina has fallen off the baseball grid.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)