Sep 1, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Daniel Bard’s hopes of rejoining the Red Sox sometime in September have just been tarnished.
According to beat writer Alex Speier of WEEI.com, the right-hander was designated for assignment on Sunday morning to clear a 40-man roster spot for new outfielder Quintin Berry. The Red Sox also added catcher Ryan Lavarnway, right-handed reliever Rubby De La Rosa and third baseman Brandon Snyder in a flurry of September moves.
Bard recently resumed pitching in minor league games after missing three months with a severe abdominal strain and the early returns have not been good. Bard walked five of the six batters he faced Thursday afternoon in a Gulf Coast League game and issued four more walks Saturday night in a one-inning appearance with the Low-A Lowell Spinners.
Bard posted a 2.62 ERA, 0.98 WHIP and 9.1 K/9 in 147 2/3 innings for the Red Sox in 2010 and 2011, but he struggled mightily in 2012 and now the 28-year-old from North Carolina has fallen off the baseball grid.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)