Sep 1, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
MLB Network’s Brian Kenny is an interesting person to follow on Twitter. He has a pet cause symbolized by the hashtag #KillTheWin. The intent is to show the various ways in which the pitcher win statistic is flawed. It has the double-sided benefit of educating less-stat-savvy fans and providing humor to those in the know. An example:
Totally not making this up.. Bob Welch: IP. RAA W-L ’90 238 3.40 27-6 ’86. 235.2 3.63 7-13 #killthewin
— Brian Kenny (@MrBrianKenny) August 31, 2013
Perhaps motivated by Kenny, someone took the time to go on the White House website to create a petition to ban the use of the win statistic via an executive order.
The petition says:
The win is an ineffective tool in pitcher evaluation, far outliving its usefulness as pitchers no longer pitch complete games. Focusing on wins as a method of pitcher effectiveness gives a distorted and inaccurate picture:
1. Pitchers can perform well and receive a loss or no decision through lack of run support or poor team defense
2. Pitchers can perform at a subpar level and receive a win if their team has excellent offense
3. Relief pitchers can record just one out and receive credit for a win.
Eliminate the win and develop more effective statistics to measure pitcher performance.
As of this writing, it has 56 of 100,000 signatures needed by September 30. Not that anything would actually happen if it got to 100,000 anyway. But it’s a funny little gag.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)