Sep 1, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
MLB Network’s Brian Kenny is an interesting person to follow on Twitter. He has a pet cause symbolized by the hashtag #KillTheWin. The intent is to show the various ways in which the pitcher win statistic is flawed. It has the double-sided benefit of educating less-stat-savvy fans and providing humor to those in the know. An example:
Totally not making this up.. Bob Welch: IP. RAA W-L ’90 238 3.40 27-6 ’86. 235.2 3.63 7-13 #killthewin
— Brian Kenny (@MrBrianKenny) August 31, 2013
Perhaps motivated by Kenny, someone took the time to go on the White House website to create a petition to ban the use of the win statistic via an executive order.
The petition says:
The win is an ineffective tool in pitcher evaluation, far outliving its usefulness as pitchers no longer pitch complete games. Focusing on wins as a method of pitcher effectiveness gives a distorted and inaccurate picture:
1. Pitchers can perform well and receive a loss or no decision through lack of run support or poor team defense
2. Pitchers can perform at a subpar level and receive a win if their team has excellent offense
3. Relief pitchers can record just one out and receive credit for a win.
Eliminate the win and develop more effective statistics to measure pitcher performance.
As of this writing, it has 56 of 100,000 signatures needed by September 30. Not that anything would actually happen if it got to 100,000 anyway. But it’s a funny little gag.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)