Sep 1, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
From MLB.com’s Jason Beck comes word that the Tigers have officially purchased the contract of top prospect Nick Castellanos from Triple-A Toledo. Castellanos is not starting but will be available for Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Indians.
The well-built 21-year-old was selected 44th overall in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft out of Miami baseball powerhouse Archbishop McCarthy High School and was the 21st-ranked prospect in the sport this winter by both Baseball America and MLB.com. He played in the 2012 All-Star Futures Game in Kansas City.
Castellanos was moved from third base to the outfield this year as he made the jump from Double-A to Triple-A and will serve as outfield depth down the stretch for the AL Central-leading Tigers. Castellanos was batting .276/.343/.450 with 18 home runs and 76 RBI in 134 games this summer for the Toledo Mud Hens.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)