Video: Toledo Mud Hens turned a triple play Saturday night to end their final home game of the season
Sep 1, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
The Toledo Mud Hens gave their fans something to go home happy about last night as they wrapped up their final home game of the season against the Columbus Clippers. Trailing 4-0 in the ninth, the Clippers were starting to put together a rally. Matt LaPorta hit a solo home run to lead off the frame. Then Jeremy Hermida doubled and Chin-Hsiu Chen singled to put runners at first and third with no outs and the tying run stepping to the plate.
Down in the count 0-1, Ryan Rohlinger lifted a fly ball to left field. The routine out was made by left fielder Gustavo Nunez, who threw home to attempt to get Hermida at the plate. Catcher Bryan Holaday snagged the throw, dove to apply the tag to Hermida, then ran halfway towards second base as Chen was caught between bases. Second baseman Danny Worth collected Holaday’s throw, then quickly fired to first baseman Jordan Lennerton, who applied the tag on Chen for the third and final out of the game — a 7-2-4-5 triple play. The Mud Hens won 4-1 in their final game at home.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 9
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 163
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 31
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (163)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)