Video: Toledo Mud Hens turned a triple play Saturday night to end their final home game of the season
Sep 1, 2013, 8:25 PM EST
The Toledo Mud Hens gave their fans something to go home happy about last night as they wrapped up their final home game of the season against the Columbus Clippers. Trailing 4-0 in the ninth, the Clippers were starting to put together a rally. Matt LaPorta hit a solo home run to lead off the frame. Then Jeremy Hermida doubled and Chin-Hsiu Chen singled to put runners at first and third with no outs and the tying run stepping to the plate.
Down in the count 0-1, Ryan Rohlinger lifted a fly ball to left field. The routine out was made by left fielder Gustavo Nunez, who threw home to attempt to get Hermida at the plate. Catcher Bryan Holaday snagged the throw, dove to apply the tag to Hermida, then ran halfway towards second base as Chen was caught between bases. Second baseman Danny Worth collected Holaday’s throw, then quickly fired to first baseman Jordan Lennerton, who applied the tag on Chen for the third and final out of the game — a 7-2-4-5 triple play. The Mud Hens won 4-1 in their final game at home.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (88)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)