Video: Toledo Mud Hens turned a triple play Saturday night to end their final home game of the season
Sep 1, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
The Toledo Mud Hens gave their fans something to go home happy about last night as they wrapped up their final home game of the season against the Columbus Clippers. Trailing 4-0 in the ninth, the Clippers were starting to put together a rally. Matt LaPorta hit a solo home run to lead off the frame. Then Jeremy Hermida doubled and Chin-Hsiu Chen singled to put runners at first and third with no outs and the tying run stepping to the plate.
Down in the count 0-1, Ryan Rohlinger lifted a fly ball to left field. The routine out was made by left fielder Gustavo Nunez, who threw home to attempt to get Hermida at the plate. Catcher Bryan Holaday snagged the throw, dove to apply the tag to Hermida, then ran halfway towards second base as Chen was caught between bases. Second baseman Danny Worth collected Holaday’s throw, then quickly fired to first baseman Jordan Lennerton, who applied the tag on Chen for the third and final out of the game — a 7-2-4-5 triple play. The Mud Hens won 4-1 in their final game at home.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 16
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)