Video: Toledo Mud Hens turned a triple play Saturday night to end their final home game of the season

Sep 1, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

The Toledo Mud Hens gave their fans something to go home happy about last night as they wrapped up their final home game of the season against the Columbus Clippers. Trailing 4-0 in the ninth, the Clippers were starting to put together a rally. Matt LaPorta hit a solo home run to lead off the frame. Then Jeremy Hermida doubled and Chin-Hsiu Chen singled to put runners at first and third with no outs and the tying run stepping to the plate.

Down in the count 0-1, Ryan Rohlinger lifted a fly ball to left field. The routine out was made by left fielder Gustavo Nunez, who threw home to attempt to get Hermida at the plate. Catcher Bryan Holaday snagged the throw, dove to apply the tag to Hermida, then ran halfway towards second base as Chen was caught between bases. Second baseman Danny Worth collected Holaday’s throw, then quickly fired to first baseman Jordan Lennerton, who applied the tag on Chen for the third and final out of the game — a 7-2-4-5 triple play. The Mud Hens won 4-1 in their final game at home.

1. nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM

What a way to wrap it up, with some heads-up fielding. But unless I missed something, the commentators never once utter the words “triple play.” Afraid of jinxing it after the fact?

2. historiophiliac - Sep 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM

That’s gotta be like the bobbliest triple-play ever. It wasn’t pretty, but it got the job done.

3. rebekahvandyke281 - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:35 AM

good post ever i had seen on talk ball

4. rebekahvandyke281 - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Since I started fre+lancing I’ve been bringing in $90 bucks/h…
    I sit at home and i am doing my work from my laptop.
    The best thing is that i get more time to spent with my family and with my kids and in the same time i can earn enough to support them… You can do it too. Start here>>>>>>> ℬAℛ17.Ⅽ­OⅯ

• markboucher301 - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:14 AM

i recommend this.. because only this site is not gonna be a spamm, ithink his account is jenuine

5. Minoring In Baseball - Sep 2, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Way to go, Mud Hens! You never know what you’ll in a Minor League game.

6. rebekahvandyke281 - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:14 AM

good post

7. 1historian - Sep 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Was there an old-timer named Max Klinger in the crowd watching?

8. tuscaloosaguy - Sep 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Klinger would be proud of the Mud Hens.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (3652)