Sep 1, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Zack Greinke is having a great year on the mound, but what has been more impressive is what he has accomplished offensively. He entered this afternoon’s start against the Padres with an .809 OPS, easily the best mark among pitchers at the dish this season. Cubs pitcher Travis Wood has a .717 OPS, the second-best mark among hurlers.
In the bottom of the fifth, with the score tied 1-1, Greinke singled to center with two outs against Padres starter Tyson Ross. With Carl Crawford batting, Greinke stole second base, his second stolen base of the season. Greinke is the first pitcher with two stolen bases in a season since Orlando Hernandez accomplished the feat in 2007 with the Mets. He is the first Dodger to steal two bags since Orel Hershiser in 1987.
On the mound, Greinke went seven innings, allowing just the one run on two hits and two walks while striking out seven. He lowered his ERA to 2.78 with the effort. Yasiel Puig blasted a solo home run to left field in the sixth to give him a 2-1 lead before departing. Relievers Ronald Belisario and Paco Rodriguez teamed up for a scoreless eighth before closer Kenley Jansen shut the door in the ninth for his 24th save.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)