Bryce Harper: “Screw what people think”

Sep 2, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

Bryce Harper

Been a weird year for Bryce Harper. He started out like gangbusters, putting up near-MVP numbers in the first part of the season, then he got injured playing insanely hard and might have played too long before being disabled. Since then he’s struggled at times, been accused of loafing and may not be completely healthy.

Now, possibly aware of the wear and length of the Major League grind, he’s somewhat defiant when asked about salvaging the weekend series against the Nats. From CSNWashington.com:

“I could care less what people think. Screw what people think. Everybody talks about us all year long saying we’re not going to make this or do that. I could care less what they think. It’s all what we think. I could really care less what the media thinks or anybody else. It’s nice to get that W tonight and like I said, I could care less what people think.”

Next up: “Bryce Harper is unaware of the difference between “could care less” and “couldn’t care less.”

But no matter what you think of him, remember that he’s hitting .278/.380/.516 with 19 homers at age 20, which is pretty damn insane for a guy his age, no matter how many ups and downs it’s seemed like he’s had this year.

1. xsherr - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

He’s exactly right.

• pinkfloydprism - Sep 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM

He is exactly right… but he did inadvertently say that he does care what people think. And the people are right… his team cannot do anything.

• coreywindom - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:51 AM

They had the best record in baseball last year, They had a slump for awhile this year but its over and they are destroying everyone they play….9 home runs in 2 games…they can do plenty…

• markboucher301 - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:23 AM

like Thomas implied I am alarmed that any one able to earn $5546 in one month on the computer.
      have you seen this site link > —- ►►►►► Ⅿe­rk­y.d­e/br17cm

Go to website and click Home tab for more details

2. cocheese000 - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Why do people constantly say “I could care less” when the correct saying is. “I couldn’t care less.”

• Old Gator - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Because the first version is tinctured with irony and sarcasm, whereas the second version is flavored only with irony. It’s the same difference (or if you prefer, just the difference) between an ice cream cone with fudge dip and sprinkles, and one with only fudge or sprinkles, depending on which one you prefer.

• indaburg - Sep 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I don’t think most people understand the difference. They simply mean to say I couldn’t care less but don’t know any better. I once asked, “So you do care?” in response to “I could care less.” Blank stare was my answer.

What if I actually could, in fact, care less? How could I express that without people misinterpreting me and thinking I mean it with a hint of irony and sarcasm?

• beccab52 - Sep 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM

because he’s telling you that he really DOES care….duh.

• largebill - Sep 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Why? Why do people make any mistakes? My guess is mostly due to ignorance. However, some mistakes are just from rushing. There are also the verbal mistakes made from speaking extemporaneously without preparation and being quoted verbatim by reporters who know what you meant to say but think it is funnier to leave it as is. The last one is closest to describing Harper’s gaffe.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Cocheese, for the same reason so many write your when they mean you’re, or don’t know the difference between there, their and they’re. They just ain’t proper educated.

• badintent - Sep 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM

ah , the grammar police. Folks with no life. For the record it’s :Don’t mean shit to me”
      Class dissed

• coreywindom - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:04 AM

OMG……did you guys hear that they are going to make harper sit out the rest of the season because he forgot to capitalize the first letter of his name when he signed an autograph……….

Its so funny that you people are trying to hard to find something negative to say about Harper when they start complaining about his grammer…..seriously people, that’s a little bit ridiculous.

that’s like saying Griffey was a terrible baseball player because he does not know how to sing Opera..

• coreywindom - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:54 AM

probably for the same reason you are asking a grammer question on a sports website…..

3. jaysfan64 - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

He has a point..but that just sounds bad..I might get my panties in a knot over that if I were a Nats season ticket holder…

• Old Gator - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Not me. I’d only get my Speedos in a knot over it if I were a Gnats beat reporter. Then again, if I were a modern now-a-go-go spawrtsriter, I’d be waking up every morning of my life hoping a ballplayer would say something to let me pretend to get my Speedos in a knot. After all, I would be making my living biting the hand that feeds me – you know, kinda like a pet gaboon viper.

4. apkyletexas - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM

@Craig – “But no matter what you think of him, remember that he’s hitting .278/.380/.516 with 19 homers at age 20, which is pretty damn insane for a guy his age”

He batted .193 in May, .260 in July, .277 in August. He’s only had 10 HR’s since April. Those numbers aren’t “insane” for any player at any age. He better improve if he wants to earn one of the really big contracts. And he better start giving a better effort more consistently.

• Old Gator - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Tell you what – arrange to sprain a few ligaments, add a couple of bruises to strategic muscles, and then start out late for your commuter train every morning so that you have to sprint from the farthest corner of the parking lot to the station platform for two months. Then come back here and wax sanctimonious about the kid’s consistency.

• greymares - Sep 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Stop with the 20yr old crap this big league ball player didn’t have a problem when the same media people were blowing smoke up his butt.

• Bryz - Sep 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM

You’re right, .278/.380/.516 is not insane for a player at any age. That’s why MLB is brimming with 20-year olds left and right that are hitting for a .900 OPS.

• nbjays - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Compared to all the overblown hype and hoopla, which make him sound like the second coming of Willie Mays, his season sort of sucks, actually.

• jwbiii - Sep 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM

274/356/472 Mays, age 20
        278/380/516 Harper, age 20

Whose season sort of sucks?

• badintent - Sep 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

@jwbiii
        Thank you for setting the record straight. Plus no phony fainting spells to get days off.

• drewsylvania - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM

You who place so much emphasis on batting average, need to revisit your conclusions.

5. chloemerchant - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I’m a Nats season ticket holder and it doesn’t bother me. He’s just saying he doesn’t care whether some people think the season is over – he hasn’t given up. That’s a good thing in my opinion.

• NatsLady - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Ditto. And he’s part of the reason the Nats still have a chance, even if it’s a minuscule chance.

6. psunick - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I still think he’s in the MVP mix with McCutchen and Molina… if he leads the Nats to the playoffs

• NatsLady - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

No. He isn’t. Jayson Werth is, though. That is the guy who put the team on his back.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Better be careful with that back then… could very well land on the DL.

7. tablescrappy - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Because batting average is the only number we need to judge performance. The kid got hurt playing harder than anyone else on the field. Now he’s hurting a d trying to push through the MLB endurance wall nobody this side of the white lines could even remotely understand. Yeah Bryce, you POS, play harder and zip it!

If someone had stuck a mic in my face when I was 20 and struggling to meet the demands of my job, I probably would have said something that would’ve kept me unemployed to this day. Give him some room to be human and say the wrong thing once in awhile.

• drewsylvania - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

How many downthumbers of this didn’t get the sarcasm?

8. misterj167 - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I don’t think anyone seriously questions his obvious skills, and obviously he’s frustrated with the way the season has gone for the Nats. It’s his baseball smarts that are in question. Whether he improves in that area remains to be seen…

9. WACANHFL - Sep 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ahhh, give the baby a bottle and put him to bed. He sounds cranky- as usual.

10. aceshigh11 - Sep 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM

That’s not very Mormon of you, Bryce…using a vulgar term for fornication.

Go drink a glass of milk and pray to Joseph Smith some more.

• beccab52 - Sep 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM

casting stones are you, jerkoff?

• aceshigh11 - Sep 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Boulders.

11. thebadguyswon - Sep 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Funny how many people confuse that saying. Must be they couldn’t care less that they say could care less.

12. denverdude7 - Sep 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Guess what Bryce? We DON’T care because baseball sucks and so do you.

• drewsylvania - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM

This says a lot about you, actually.

13. beccab52 - Sep 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM

seriously? first people bust on him cuz he plays too hard then he gets busted on for not playing hard enough and then people wanna bust on him for his grammar? seriously? who made all of ya’ll God? Give him a freakin’ break!…the kid, the young man, the player is growing up in front of the world…just let him do it.

14. mtr75 - Sep 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM

He was trying to salvage the weekend series against the Nats? And speaking of thinking, “I couldn’t care less” is the expression you’re looking for, Bryce. Those 2 years of juco served you well.

15. joejaws75 - Sep 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Bryce Harper is a punk

• drewsylvania - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM

So are you. #wehaveenoughevidencetoconvictbothofyou

16. daveyob - Sep 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM

What a coincidence. I don’t care what he thinks either.

17. jdillydawg - Sep 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM

People who say they don’t care always care. More than they’ll ever admit. The fact that he said he didn’t care about 2 dozen times in half a paragraph leads me to believe he cares more than he’s letting on.

It’s ok to care, Bryce, really. In fact, maybe its the “I don’t care” attitude that pisses everyone off.

18. baseballer28 - Sep 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM

This kid is such an arrogant douche. And Craig loves him. Insane? How about reckless and careless, even stupid outfield (which is what got him hurt) play, and his ‘huge” numbers-it was the first week of the season, they pretty much suck now…plenty of others have done much better at his age. Andruw Jones, Jeter won a world series. How about Mel Ott’s 42 bombs in his age 20 season. This kid is a punk ass that doesn’t belong in the Majors. He hasn’t worked for shit, been given everything and is an ungrateful prick to the fans of this game. He is nothing but a kiss blowing, showboatin, punk bitch. That’s why pitchers hit him all the time, and I don’t blame them.

• mplsjoe - Sep 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Most MLB GMs would trade any player on their respective rosters for Harper, straight up, no questions asked.

• badintent - Sep 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM

You talking about Brett Lawrie again ?? Mr. I can hit the wall or fence harder than you for a foul ball and get on DL for a week or two ??

19. s0krat3s - Sep 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I’m not even a Harper fan, but are you really going to call the grammar police over a phrase that everybody misuses?

20. clearwall - Sep 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Dear Bryce, you clown bro…no one said you ‘couldn’t do this or couldnt do that.’ Your Gnats were crowned NLE champs before spring training even began. Dont give me that crap now that you’re under appreciated and angst-filled now. Your team sucks, you’re a slacker, and you’re a goofball on top of it all

21. sdeberg - Sep 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM

F off Bryce. You kidding? You idiots are paid to maintain NOTHING more than your owners’ egotistical payroll – and YOU’RE paid exactly WHAT per year? I don’t think you get to say screw anything, you egotistical, arrogant overpaid moron. Full disclosure…I’m not a Nats fan…but you represent the WORST of MLB professional players. What a moronic, idiotic thing to say. Your fans should desert you at the first opportunity. What an a**hole.

22. crackersnap - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM

“…remember that he’s hitting .278/.380/.516 with 19 homers at age 20, which is pretty damn insane for a guy his age…”

Not nearly as insane as .326/.399/.564 with 30 homers at age 20, which was the Mike Trout benchmark that all the Harper advocates throughout the MSM were sure Harper was going to best in 2013.

23. provguard - Sep 3, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I’m sorry Bryce, but I thought the Nats were the favorites in the National League on many lists???

24. chryslercordoba - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM

“Now, possibly aware of the wear and length of the Major League grind, he’s somewhat defiant when asked about salvaging the weekend series against the Nats.”

Maybe Bryce is just stressed out when talking about “salvaging the weekend series against the Nats”.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3476)