Sep 2, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
Carlos Gonzalez was hoping to rejoin the Rockies as soon as tomorrow after missing nearly a month with a sprained right middle finger, but that’s not going to happen.
Gonzalez went 1-for-6 with a walk over his first two rehab games with Triple-A Colorado Springs, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that he was scratched from the lineup tonight because his finger is still bothering him. Not only will his return be pushed back, but it’s legitimate to wonder whether the Rockies will just shut him down for the rest of the season at this point.
Gonzalez has been a monster when on the field this season, batting .302/.367/.591 with 26 home runs, 70 RBI, and 20 stolen bases over 103 games. He has never played more than 145 games in a season.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 2
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 51
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 16
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 26
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)