Sep 2, 2013, 6:01 PM EST
UPDATE: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Masterson exited his start with soreness in his left rib cage.
4:34 p.m. ET: Bad news for the Tribe as their number one starter, Justin Masterson, was removed during the second inning of today’s Orioles-Indians game. It’s unclear why he left, but reporters covering the game tweeted that his velocity was down and, just prior to leaving, Masterson was throwing nothing but offspeed stuff.
Masterson is 14-9 on the year with a 3.47 ERA in 189.1 innings entering today’s action. If he’s out for any extended amount of time, the Indians are going to be in big trouble.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)