Sep 2, 2013, 6:01 PM EST
UPDATE: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Masterson exited his start with soreness in his left rib cage.
4:34 p.m. ET: Bad news for the Tribe as their number one starter, Justin Masterson, was removed during the second inning of today’s Orioles-Indians game. It’s unclear why he left, but reporters covering the game tweeted that his velocity was down and, just prior to leaving, Masterson was throwing nothing but offspeed stuff.
Masterson is 14-9 on the year with a 3.47 ERA in 189.1 innings entering today’s action. If he’s out for any extended amount of time, the Indians are going to be in big trouble.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)