Sep 2, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Masterson exited his start with soreness in his left rib cage.
4:34 p.m. ET: Bad news for the Tribe as their number one starter, Justin Masterson, was removed during the second inning of today’s Orioles-Indians game. It’s unclear why he left, but reporters covering the game tweeted that his velocity was down and, just prior to leaving, Masterson was throwing nothing but offspeed stuff.
Masterson is 14-9 on the year with a 3.47 ERA in 189.1 innings entering today’s action. If he’s out for any extended amount of time, the Indians are going to be in big trouble.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)