Sep 2, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera has missed three straight games since aggravating his abdominal injury on Friday, but he’s beginning to make some progress.
According to Chris Iott of MLive.com, Cabrera took batting practice prior to today’s game. Though the decision on his return will ultimately come down to the medical staff, Tigers manager Jim Leyland was encouraged by what he saw.
“He was in good spirits today, and I think he’s feeling much, much better to be honest with you,” Leyland said. “I’m just waiting for the clearance from Miguel and the medical team. When I get that, I’ll put him back in there.”
The Tigers have won two out of three with Cabrera out of the lineup and lead the Indians by 8 1/2 games in the AL Central, so there’s no rush to put him back out there. While his absence could cost him a chance at back-to-back Triple Crowns, the top priority is getting him healthy for October.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 14
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 72
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 30
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)