Sep 2, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera has missed three straight games since aggravating his abdominal injury on Friday, but he’s beginning to make some progress.
According to Chris Iott of MLive.com, Cabrera took batting practice prior to today’s game. Though the decision on his return will ultimately come down to the medical staff, Tigers manager Jim Leyland was encouraged by what he saw.
“He was in good spirits today, and I think he’s feeling much, much better to be honest with you,” Leyland said. “I’m just waiting for the clearance from Miguel and the medical team. When I get that, I’ll put him back in there.”
The Tigers have won two out of three with Cabrera out of the lineup and lead the Indians by 8 1/2 games in the AL Central, so there’s no rush to put him back out there. While his absence could cost him a chance at back-to-back Triple Crowns, the top priority is getting him healthy for October.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 5
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)