Sep 2, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera has missed three straight games since aggravating his abdominal injury on Friday, but he’s beginning to make some progress.
According to Chris Iott of MLive.com, Cabrera took batting practice prior to today’s game. Though the decision on his return will ultimately come down to the medical staff, Tigers manager Jim Leyland was encouraged by what he saw.
“He was in good spirits today, and I think he’s feeling much, much better to be honest with you,” Leyland said. “I’m just waiting for the clearance from Miguel and the medical team. When I get that, I’ll put him back in there.”
The Tigers have won two out of three with Cabrera out of the lineup and lead the Indians by 8 1/2 games in the AL Central, so there’s no rush to put him back out there. While his absence could cost him a chance at back-to-back Triple Crowns, the top priority is getting him healthy for October.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)