Sep 2, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera has missed three straight games since aggravating his abdominal injury on Friday, but he’s beginning to make some progress.
According to Chris Iott of MLive.com, Cabrera took batting practice prior to today’s game. Though the decision on his return will ultimately come down to the medical staff, Tigers manager Jim Leyland was encouraged by what he saw.
“He was in good spirits today, and I think he’s feeling much, much better to be honest with you,” Leyland said. “I’m just waiting for the clearance from Miguel and the medical team. When I get that, I’ll put him back in there.”
The Tigers have won two out of three with Cabrera out of the lineup and lead the Indians by 8 1/2 games in the AL Central, so there’s no rush to put him back out there. While his absence could cost him a chance at back-to-back Triple Crowns, the top priority is getting him healthy for October.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)