Sep 2, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
I bet St. Louis fans are glad that’s over.
In addition to losing Yadier Molina mid-game due to a sore left wrist, the Cardinals were walloped by the Reds today, 7-2. Ace Adam Wainwright was shelled for six earned runs in six innings. That’s the second straight awful start for Wainwright since he tossed 128 pitches on August 23rd. He allowed nine runs in his last outing, also against the Reds. If the Pirates win the Central and the Reds and Cardinals face off in the wild card game, you have to wonder if Wainwright gets the call.
For Cincinnati, Mat Latos had a much better day. He tossed his first complete game of the season, allowing only two runs on four hits. He only needed 100 pitches to go all nine.
With this loss the Cardinals fall a half game back of the Pirates, who as of this writing are still playing against Milwaukee.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)