Sep 2, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
I bet St. Louis fans are glad that’s over.
In addition to losing Yadier Molina mid-game due to a sore left wrist, the Cardinals were walloped by the Reds today, 7-2. Ace Adam Wainwright was shelled for six earned runs in six innings. That’s the second straight awful start for Wainwright since he tossed 128 pitches on August 23rd. He allowed nine runs in his last outing, also against the Reds. If the Pirates win the Central and the Reds and Cardinals face off in the wild card game, you have to wonder if Wainwright gets the call.
For Cincinnati, Mat Latos had a much better day. He tossed his first complete game of the season, allowing only two runs on four hits. He only needed 100 pitches to go all nine.
With this loss the Cardinals fall a half game back of the Pirates, who as of this writing are still playing against Milwaukee.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 39
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 25
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 77
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)