Sep 2, 2013, 4:12 PM EST
I bet St. Louis fans are glad that’s over.
In addition to losing Yadier Molina mid-game due to a sore left wrist, the Cardinals were walloped by the Reds today, 7-2. Ace Adam Wainwright was shelled for six earned runs in six innings. That’s the second straight awful start for Wainwright since he tossed 128 pitches on August 23rd. He allowed nine runs in his last outing, also against the Reds. If the Pirates win the Central and the Reds and Cardinals face off in the wild card game, you have to wonder if Wainwright gets the call.
For Cincinnati, Mat Latos had a much better day. He tossed his first complete game of the season, allowing only two runs on four hits. He only needed 100 pitches to go all nine.
With this loss the Cardinals fall a half game back of the Pirates, who as of this writing are still playing against Milwaukee.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (109)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)