Sep 2, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
I bet St. Louis fans are glad that’s over.
In addition to losing Yadier Molina mid-game due to a sore left wrist, the Cardinals were walloped by the Reds today, 7-2. Ace Adam Wainwright was shelled for six earned runs in six innings. That’s the second straight awful start for Wainwright since he tossed 128 pitches on August 23rd. He allowed nine runs in his last outing, also against the Reds. If the Pirates win the Central and the Reds and Cardinals face off in the wild card game, you have to wonder if Wainwright gets the call.
For Cincinnati, Mat Latos had a much better day. He tossed his first complete game of the season, allowing only two runs on four hits. He only needed 100 pitches to go all nine.
With this loss the Cardinals fall a half game back of the Pirates, who as of this writing are still playing against Milwaukee.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (220)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)