Sep 2, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Yadier Molina exited today’s game against the Reds in the fourth inning with what the Cardinals announced left wrist soreness.
Molina, who spent two weeks on the disabled list with a knee injury last month, was previously bothered by wrist problems during the World Baseball Classic this spring. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch notes that he’s played through “nagging soreness.”
Molina has been amazing this season, hitting .329 with 10 homers and an .856 OPS in 113 games in addition to being the majors’ best defensive catcher. Veteran backup Rob Johnson replaced him following the injury.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12