Sep 2, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Gurnick reports that Puig left the game with a mild right knee strain.
The early speculation is that Puig might have hurt his right knee diving back into first base on a pickoff throw. The 22-year-old stayed in the game and ran from first to third on a single from Adrian Gonzalez, but was in obvious pain after sliding into the base. He eventually scored on a sacrifice fly by Hanley Ramirez, but didn’t come out to right field in the bottom of the inning.
Puig, who entered today’s action on a .458 (11-for-24) tear over his last six games, went 1-for-3 before exiting. He is batting .351/.411/.564 with 14 home runs, 32 RBI, and 10 stolen bases in 80 games since his call-up in June.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)