Sep 2, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Gurnick reports that Puig left the game with a mild right knee strain.
The early speculation is that Puig might have hurt his right knee diving back into first base on a pickoff throw. The 22-year-old stayed in the game and ran from first to third on a single from Adrian Gonzalez, but was in obvious pain after sliding into the base. He eventually scored on a sacrifice fly by Hanley Ramirez, but didn’t come out to right field in the bottom of the inning.
Puig, who entered today’s action on a .458 (11-for-24) tear over his last six games, went 1-for-3 before exiting. He is batting .351/.411/.564 with 14 home runs, 32 RBI, and 10 stolen bases in 80 games since his call-up in June.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59