Sep 2, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
UPDATE: Gurnick reports that Puig left the game with a mild right knee strain.
The early speculation is that Puig might have hurt his right knee diving back into first base on a pickoff throw. The 22-year-old stayed in the game and ran from first to third on a single from Adrian Gonzalez, but was in obvious pain after sliding into the base. He eventually scored on a sacrifice fly by Hanley Ramirez, but didn’t come out to right field in the bottom of the inning.
Puig, who entered today’s action on a .458 (11-for-24) tear over his last six games, went 1-for-3 before exiting. He is batting .351/.411/.564 with 14 home runs, 32 RBI, and 10 stolen bases in 80 games since his call-up in June.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)