Sep 2, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Gurnick reports that Puig left the game with a mild right knee strain.
The early speculation is that Puig might have hurt his right knee diving back into first base on a pickoff throw. The 22-year-old stayed in the game and ran from first to third on a single from Adrian Gonzalez, but was in obvious pain after sliding into the base. He eventually scored on a sacrifice fly by Hanley Ramirez, but didn’t come out to right field in the bottom of the inning.
Puig, who entered today’s action on a .458 (11-for-24) tear over his last six games, went 1-for-3 before exiting. He is batting .351/.411/.564 with 14 home runs, 32 RBI, and 10 stolen bases in 80 games since his call-up in June.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)