Sep 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Back in June Indians closer Chris Perez and his wife were charged with a misdemeanor count of possession of controlled substance. According to police the couple had “a little more than a third of a pound of marijuana or 163.9 grams” delivered to their home and they’re scheduled to be arraigned on June 19. The package was actually sent to their dog, “Brody Baum.” Which is one way to do it.
Now the charges are behind them, as Perez and the missus entered no contest pleas today and were sentenced:
Municipal Judge Brian Hagan sentenced Perez, the Tribe’s 28-year-old closer, to pay a $250 fine and to serve one year of probation. During that time, Perez must complete Major League Baseball’s drug-treatment program and present a 15- to 20-minute talk to students at Rocky River High School about the dangers of drugs.
Perez has sworn off media lately, so I’m guessing we won’t get a comment.
No word if Perez has apologized to Brody for besmirching his good name.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)