Sep 3, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT
Carlos Gonzalez has been activated from the disabled list and will be available off the Rockies’ bench Tuesday for the first time since August 4.
But it won’t exactly be a triumphant return.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that CarGo is only available to play defense and pinch-run due to lingering pain in his right middle finger. Gonzalez has changed the way he grips a bat and is hoping to be ready to hit at some point this week, but the out-of-contention Rockies likely won’t force the issue.
Gonzalez, 27, is batting .302/.367/.591 with 26 home runs and 70 RBI in 103 games this season for the Rockies, who are currently 12 1/2 games out of the National League Wild Card hunt.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 200
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)