Sep 3, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT
Carlos Gonzalez has been activated from the disabled list and will be available off the Rockies’ bench Tuesday for the first time since August 4.
But it won’t exactly be a triumphant return.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that CarGo is only available to play defense and pinch-run due to lingering pain in his right middle finger. Gonzalez has changed the way he grips a bat and is hoping to be ready to hit at some point this week, but the out-of-contention Rockies likely won’t force the issue.
Gonzalez, 27, is batting .302/.367/.591 with 26 home runs and 70 RBI in 103 games this season for the Rockies, who are currently 12 1/2 games out of the National League Wild Card hunt.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)