Sep 3, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
Lana Berry made a great, albeit depressing observation during the Rays-Angels game last night:
And by “going for it” she means the good citizen award. Lueke, as most know by now, is a sex offender. Young had his little drunken anti-semitic incident in New York. Yunel Escobar you may know from his homophobic eye black. Luke Scott is baseball’s most famous birther who keeps guns in his couch cushions and once cautioned a black teammate from acting like a “savage” and an “animal.”
Quite a group of citizens on the Rays these days. Makes me wish that old Devil Rays prospect Elijah Dukes and Toe Nash were on the club as elder statesmen. Also makes me wonder which baseball team had the greatest number of criminals, knuckleheads and controversy-creators on the roster at the same time. I guess it depends on whether you consider the early-80s Pirates cocaine use a character issue or one in which guys were afflicted with addiction.
The Rays are certainly something, though.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 8
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 44
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)