The Rays had the all-good-citizen lineup in the game last night

Sep 3, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT

Rays logo

Lana Berry made a great, albeit depressing observation during the Rays-Angels game last night:

holy s***. Rays played Josh Lueke, Delmon Young, Luke Scott, and Yunel Escobar in the same game. they are really just…going for it, huh?

And by “going for it” she means the good citizen award. Lueke, as most know by now, is a sex offender. Young had his little drunken anti-semitic incident in New York. Yunel Escobar you may know from his homophobic eye black. Luke Scott is baseball’s most famous birther who keeps guns in his couch cushions and once cautioned a black teammate from acting like a “savage” and an “animal.”

Quite a group of citizens on the Rays these days. Makes me wish that old Devil Rays prospect Elijah Dukes and Toe Nash were on the club as elder statesmen. Also makes me wonder which baseball team had the greatest number of criminals, knuckleheads and controversy-creators on the roster at the same time. I guess it depends on whether you consider the early-80s Pirates cocaine use a character issue or one in which guys were afflicted with addiction.

The Rays are certainly something, though.

101 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. deadeyedesign23 - Sep 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Scott was also saying that while throwing banana chips at him.

2. rollinghighwayblues - Sep 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I wish machete-wielding Ugueth Urbina was a potential September call up. That would keep those delinquents on their toes.

• indaburg - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Battle Royale?

3. alexo0 - Sep 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

“a savage and an animal”

I interpret that as Luke Scott threatening to shoot him.

• American of African Descent - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM

They’re in Florida, so your interpretation is probably accurate.

• indaburg - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

The incident happened in Baltimore when he was an Oriole. (If you’re going to be snarky, be factual.)

• asimonetti88 - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Scott’s comments about his teammate qualify him for all-bad citizen team.

But not sure why being a birther needs to be mentioned as part of his qualifications. There is a difference between stupidity and maliciousness/being a bad apple.

• jarathen - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Willful ignorance is akin to being a bad apple, yes.

• historiophiliac - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I kinda think clinging to birther conspiracy theory qualifies as malicious stupidity, as the Supreme Court put this to bed already.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Sorry, just don’t see how wrongly believing that the President was born in a different country is an equal transgression to what Josh Leuke did.

• historiophiliac - Sep 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM

No one said it was an equal transgression, but it certainly meets the “bad apple” qualification, so we are disputing you on that. You didn’t compare him to Leuke specifically in your comment, so if that was what you were thinking, it was unclear to me.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 3, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I guess my point is just because someone is stupid doesn’t necessarily make them a bad person.

• historiophiliac - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I’m still not with you when it comes to willfully rejecting the truth to suit your political agenda.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM

If that willful ignorance was hurting someone, then sure. But the only person this is hurting is Scott himself by making himself look like an idiot.

His comments about his teammate hurt someone else.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Correct, but add colossal stupidity to “throws plantain chips at a black teammate to let said teammate know he’s being a savage”, and you’ve graduated to gigantic douchenozzle.

4. Jack Marshall - Sep 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Manny is still available!

5. NatsLady - Sep 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM

It’s nice that Joe Madden has them dress in costumes for road trips, though, right?

6. number42is1 - Sep 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I’m will to bet that John Rocker would sign a one day contract just to be part of that.

7. pisano - Sep 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM

The team wouldn’t be complete without Milton Bradley, and Carl Everett, two more wonderful beings that would surely qualify for the Luke Scott award.

8. redmanrt - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Calcaterra, let us know when any of the Rays are caught using PEDs or smashing telephones in the dugout. Also let us know what the object of your secret fantasies is.

• historiophiliac - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I don’t understand your point. Are you saying it’s worse to take PED’s or smash a phone than to be a rapist or commit a hate crime?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I think he is trying to say all of the things Scott, Young, Lueke and Escobar did pale in comparison to PED use and phone smashing.
        Oh…and voting for Obama is more stupid than being a birther.
        Although he thinks both are stupid in general.

Personally, I agree with him on the birther and Obama points.
        Everything else and he’s on his own.

• nategearhart - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Priorties.

• indaburg - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Please shut up.

• indaburg - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM

(My comment was directed at redmanrt.)

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

As I did TWICE, Redmanrt. Please don’t diminish my contributions to democracy.

• NatsLady - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I did, too. After I worked my butt off for Hillary–the only time I ever go involved in politics.

I’m sorry, but the Rays are easy to dislike. Don’t forget “pine-tar” Peralta.

• indaburg - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Natslady, don’t start with the hypocrisy. Your darling team had no issues with “Pine Tar” Peralta when he was doing it for them. They didn’t exactly turn him in then, did they?

• bigdaddy44 - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Having read many of your articles this summer, I now have a crystal clear understanding of the basis of your opinions. ( <60 )

• clemente2 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM

StLouis–I thought you were better than such empty juvenile rhetoric. Too bad. Go back to your sewer.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Again with the sewer? I thought YOU were better than that Roberto.
        In a nutshell…I merely advised him he wasn’t going to get anywhere on this board with those types of posts. After all…about 95% of our HBT brethren disagree with him.
        You disappoint me with your sewer comment Roberto. But that’s okay.

9. ptfu - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM

The Rays can’t call up Matt Bush either, as he’s got another three-plus years left in the Florida Penal League.

• Mr. Furious - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM

The Rays tried to get in touch with Rick Scott to see if they could bring him up as “Ray Smith” (a la Earl Wilkinson in “The Replacements”) but they aren’t rich enough for him to take their call.

10. slizzyslizz - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

The Bengals of baseball…

• km9000 - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Things must be pretty bad for the Bengals if they’re considered the worst of the worst off the field among football teams.

• ptfu - Sep 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I don’t think the Bengals are the worst of the worst. They haven’t (yet?) sunk to the level of the Raiders.

11. jwbiii - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

12. nategearhart - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Lueke is a rapist. While calling him a “sex offender” is technically correct, it really undersells what an atrocious scum he really is.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Well, yes, but he wasn’t technically convicted of rape due to his plea deal.

• number42is1 - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM

you can take the lawyer out of the courtroom….

• nategearhart - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM

You right, of course (and unfortunately). And I totally get that in light of that, yours was the more prudent word choice. I just really hate that guy.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Geez….you anally rape a chick while she’s blacked out and puking in a toilet and suddenly you’re a rapist….

13. indaburg - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM

As if I wasn’t depressed enough about the Rays this morning. Thanks, Craig. I’ll just go listen to The Smiths now and really cheer myself up.

• jwbiii - Sep 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM

What, no Joy Division?

• historiophiliac - Sep 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM

She’s going for No-Joy Division.

14. icanspeel - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Maybe they should put the Devil back in Devil Rays?

15. tanzkommandant - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Are the words “animal” & “savage” entirely forbidden now or only when used in reference to a black?

• jjschiller - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM

“Felix is my friend,” he says. “I give him a hard time. The reason why I give him a hard time is because there are certain people you deal with and you go up and talk to them, and it doesn’t work. They don’t understand. … I tell him about some of the ways he’s acted: ‘Look, you’re acting like an animal, you’re acting like a savage.’”

“Here are my banana chips to remind him that whenever he acts like an animal, ‘Hey, that’s what other people are thinking. They’re just not telling you, but that’s what they’re thinking about. And I’m telling you so that you’re aware of that so you can make a cognitive decision to not behave like that.’”

The problem here, is that Luke Scott “likes” Felix Pie, but rationalizes away his bad behavior as “Well, he’s got a good heart. He just can’t control his black-dominican-savage instincts. I can help him with that.”

And then he goes on to rationalize and defend his assumptions as normative. “That’s what other people are thinking, they just won’t tell you.” Well, no, that’s what other racists are thinking. A person who is not a racist will not see a black or Dominican man behave badly and associate it with his blackness or his Dominican-ness. A person who is not a racist will think “Man, that guy is behaving badly.” A person who is his friend will say “Man, my friend is behaving badly. I need to help him figure this out.” Only a person who is a racist will say “Man, that black Dominican is behaving like an animal. I’ll throw banana chips at him to remind him he needs to fight against his inner-monkey urges.”

• lawson1974 - Sep 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

jschiller, you know in a post you don’t put quotes around your opinion of what he said

Scott never said those words. you may think that is what he means, but your quotes are very deceiving.

• jjschiller - Sep 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM

You’re right, I was doing my very best to deceive. Yet somehow… SOMEHOW… you were able to decipher the difference between my summary of his words, and his actual words.. How in the world did you manage that?

16. jjschiller - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I mean, yeah, it’s pretty repugnant. But it’s the rational-economic decision.

It’s pretty clear that scumbags are the inefficiency. With all teams on board with the OBP thing, and the defense thing, some of the only undervalued players left are scumbags who can play, but nobody wants to employ a scumbag.

And if you already have what you believe to be an excellent People-Manager, which I’d say the Rays have, or at least, they certainly believe they have, then it’s an opportunity to draw further capital out of your strength.

And the possible downsides, particularly of alienating your fan base, are pretty diminished in an environment like Tampa Bay, where you already have few fans, and are negated by the principle that you need to win to draw fans.

Like I said, it’s kind of repugnant. I’m glad they’re not my rooting interest. But baseball doesn’t ban rapists, racists and homophobes. And what players they DO ban, they punish only the players, and never the teams that employ and enable their bad behavior.

The idea is to do everything inside the rules to win baseball games. And with baseballs punitive policies, the Rays stand literally, NO CHANCE of running afoul of the rules. Even in the event that their known racists, rapists, anti-semites, homophobes or paranoid-gun-nuts should run afoul of the law or the rules, the Rays not only escape culpability, they might just be absolved of paying that player’s salary.

The incentives all line up. It’s money ball. Scummy ball?

• The Common Man - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

“Scummyball”

I love that term. You win.

• skids003 - Sep 3, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I didn’t know being a “gun nut” was against the law.

• jjschiller - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Did I say that it was?

Being a racist/anti-semite isn’t against the law either. Why aren’t you making a straw man out of those?

• skids003 - Sep 4, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Yeah, well you lumped them all together like it was. Why don’t you put a “gun free zone” sign in your front yard, tough guy.

17. geoknows - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM

And to top it off, it was an atrociously bad game. There’s no other word to describe it. I don’t see the Rays much, but every time I’ve seen them this year they’ve been just awful. I’m trying to figure out how they’re 15 games above .500.

• jjschiller - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM

“I don’t see the Rays much,”

“I’m trying to figure out how they’re 15 games above .500″

You might have an answer to your question in there somewhere…

18. yahmule - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

If I remember correctly, Toe Nash was a baby when his family was left destitute by Hurricane Andrew. His mother abandoned him at a young age and he never went to high school. He was a freak of nature with size 18 feet (hence the nickname Toe) who was equally adept at 90 mph fastballs and 400 foot home runs as a teenager. If he had even a halfway normal childhood, he probably would have been a premier power hitter in the majors.

19. spol85 - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

“Also makes me wonder which baseball team had the greatest number of criminals, knuckleheads and controversy-creators on the roster at the same time.”

Mid- 80’s Mets get my vote for the worst. Gooden, Strawberry, Dykstra, Hernandez, Backman and Kevin Mitchell are like an All Star team for criminals and knuckleheads.

• yahmule - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Yeah, looking at that roster, the good guys like Mookie Wilson and Ron Darling stick out like sore thumbs.

• indaburg - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Don’t forget Gary Carter. Boy, was he out of place.

• tmohr - Sep 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Darling apparently owed several thousand dollars in students loans while pitching for the Mets.

• flpunx - Sep 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I know. Keith Hernandez even spit in Kramer’s face!

20. lawson1974 - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM

So Luke Scott exercises his 2nd amendment rights, just like about 100 million other people.

And he gives good advice, people shouldn’t act like animals.

• thomas844 - Sep 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM

We don’t take too kindly to conservative beliefs here, Sir.

• historiophiliac - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Throwing banana chips at a black teammate and comparing him to an animal is a conservative belief????

• thomas844 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I was talking about the gun thing….

• historiophiliac - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM

The gun thing is not just a conservative belief but, FYI, none of the gun owners I know — conservative or liberal — keep their guns in the couch. Gun safety is not a political position. It’s part of responsible gun ownership.

• skids003 - Sep 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I hide them all over the house, you never know what room you might be in when you need one, just not in the couch.. It makes it too lumpy when you sit on it.

• historiophiliac - Sep 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

skids, you are not right. lol

• skids003 - Sep 4, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Thank you, historio.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Lawson:
      Here at HBT…you are welcome to exercise your 2nd amendment rights as long as those rights you are exercising lean towards the left. This is the only distinction HBT demands.
      To simply: We like your opinions as long as they are in line with our own.

• clemente2 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Back to the sewer

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Sewer? Seriously?
        Wow Roberto…that’s incredibly helpful.
        Keep up the good work!

• eightyraw - Sep 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM

How do you exercise Second Amendment rights on a blog’s comments section?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

The right to keep and bear arms? Ummm…you can’t. Obviously…the much larger point was you are welcome to exercise any right you want at HBT as long as those rights (and/or opinions) coincide with the left leaning opinions of those at HBT. Otherwise, people such as yourself will spend half a day trying to illustrate why dissenting beliefs are wrong. Or at least why (you) think they are wrong.
        Does that clear things up?

• eightyraw - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM

“Here at HBT…you are welcome to exercise your 2nd amendment rights”

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

And once again…
        “Obviously…the much larger point was you are welcome to exercise any right you want at HBT as long as those rights (and/or opinions) coincide with the left leaning opinions of those at HBT.”

• eightyraw - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Nothing is obvious when you talk about a blog allowing for people to exercise Second Amendment rights. Or talk about HBTalk’s comment section infringing on any Constitutional rights. Is your point that you are a conservative and get angry because you don’t understand things?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Again…I was referring to his differing opinions in general. This is at least the 3rd time I have stated this. You are wasting my time. Please know your pompous attitude would be far better spent on someone else. So in essence…you are wasting your own time as well. And for the record…I am far more moderate than conservative. Although I do lean right more so than left. I know…hard to believe.
        Have a good evening 80raw.
        It’s been a real pleasure as always.

• eightyraw - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM

So who infringed on your right to express your “moderate” moronic belief that questioning the president’s birthplace is smarter than voting for said president?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Did I state that? Wow…I must really be off my game. Lemme’ check my post and get back to you as I can tell this is something that is really bothering you.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Ah! I see how you could be confused.
        Does this help clear things up for you?

“Although he thinks BOTH are stupid in general.”

“Personally, I AGREE WITH HIM on the birther and Obama points.” “Everything else and he’s on his own.”
        Does this help little buddy?
        To further assist you…I will try to be more direct.
        I think BOTH are stupid.
        We good?

• eightyraw - Sep 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM

“By the way, if there’s anything stupider than being a “birther,” it is having voted for Obama, as you did.”

“Personally, I agree with him on the birther and Obama points.”

So I’m supposed to magically understand that you agreeing with him/her means agreeing with something that was not actually said? I tend to keep missing your super obvious points. Maybe this is because you aren’t very skilled at expressing yourself through words? And who infringed on your rights to express your opinions? You said something stupid (twice now), I pointed it out.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM

“Maybe this is because you aren’t very skilled at expressing yourself through words?”

That’s odd. I actually do this everyday in my career. Have done it successfully for almost 20 years. Perhaps you are struggling as a result of being a pompous jackass. A pompous jackass who (rather ironically) lacks confidence to the point of needing a sense of empowerment. A sense of empowerment that is sadly realized by anonymously nitpicking posts on the internet.

• eightyraw - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM

That’s some fantastic armchair psychology. I can see how you’ve been so successful for 20 years.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM

That’s what I am here for. I hope you have a good weekend. You deserve it after the week you have had!

21. thomas844 - Sep 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Okay, I understand Lueke being called out for what he did, but really, is there anyone on this Earth that hasn’t said or done something stupid? Just because someone’s mistake gets publicized, it doesn’t make them a bad citizen. We don’t personally know these players, it is unfair and judgmental to sarcastically label them as “the all-good- citizen lineup.”

• historiophiliac - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Are you suggesting rape is just being stupid????

• thomas844 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

If you read my comment, I specifically separated what Lueke did from the rest of the group because it is so horrible.

• historiophiliac - Sep 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I guess I didn’t get that. It read to me like: yes, he did something bad, BUT…. — which sounds like minimizing it instead of moving to a new topic. Perhaps you should’ve put a subject in your second clause to clarify that you were no longer talking about him. It was unclear to me, so I asked for clarification.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I can’t believe the dude did as little time as he did for it.
        Less than 2 months and back to baseball. Crazy.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Stop me when you get to something you’ve done:

Anally rape a girl
      Drive drunk multiple times, and in one instance almost killed a person
      Got into an altercation while drunk while shouting anti-semitic slurs
      Throws plantain chips at a teammate to let the teammate know he’s “acting like a savage”
      Walk out into a public arena with the spanish term for gay slur on your attire

Still reading or did you stop somewhere?

• thomas844 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Like I told historiophiliac, I purposely separated Lueke from the rest of the group because his actions were so terrible (why does everyone keep missing that?) And my point was that there are probably many Major Leaguers or people in general who have done or said bad things, but they aren’t called out for being terrible people simply because it was never publicized.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Yes, Leuke is obviously at the top of the terribad totem pole, but are you really trying to play off Luke Scott giving an interview with ESPN.com and thinking nothing’s wrong with throwing plantain chips at a black teammate to tell him he’s acting like a savage? Young’s anti-semitic rant is bad, but he’s done worse shit as well. He also threw a bat at an umpire in a minor league game. Using a gay slur to your friends is bad, but it’s not any where near as bad as writing it on your eye black and taking the field where millions can see it.

22. ilovesports13 - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Evan Longoria has a problem with Arod playing during his appeal of his suspension from taking PEDs, yet he’s perfectly fine with taking the field with racists and a rapist. Wow.

• indaburg - Sep 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Did he say he’s perfectly fine with it? Just curious.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM

13: I don’t know that he is “perfectly fine with it.”
      In fact, I am guessing he is not “perfectly fine with it.”

23. redmanrt - Sep 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Some smart guy once said – He who is without sin should pick up the first stone.

Why don’t some of you people just enjoy the miracle of a team with a miniscule budget and no drug scandal sometimes making life miserable for the big money teams?

Why can’t some of you people learn a little about Escobar’s personal story and marvel that he’s on the field in the US doing things at shortstop that surpass even Jeter’s performances?

And Calcaterra, if there’s anything stupider than voting for Obama, it’s admitting it. You keep your politics out of your columns, and I’ll stop making you look ridiculous.

• drewsylvania - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM

There is so much fail here, we don’t know where to start.

• thevauntedchris - Sep 8, 2013 at 4:24 AM

I stopped reading when you insinuated that Jeter was a good shortstop…or maybe your bar for Escobar is just really, really, really low.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3489)