Sep 3, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
Or some sort of acknowledgement of one of the foremost labor leaders in history on Labor Day. I suppose he probably wouldn’t have much cared, though, so it’s fine.
But what’s not fine is how little fans in general appreciate Marvin Miller and misapprehend what he did for both players and the game. People have been brainwashed in this country for the past 30 years that labor unions are bad, workers are lazy and the people who own businesses are justified in making their billions while those who have contributed their work to all of that are vilified as socialists for even asking for a piece of it.
But watch this video essay from Keith Olbermann about Miller in which he explains how none of the horrors imagined by baseball owners and fans ever came to pass as a result of free agencies and rising player salaries. And remember, as Olbermann notes, that it wasn’t a player who just signed a $6 billion contract, it was the Los Angeles Dodgers. And no one ever accuses them of being greedy the way players are so accused.
Hope you had a happy Labor Day. Hope you remembered what the day is for.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)