Sep 3, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
Or some sort of acknowledgement of one of the foremost labor leaders in history on Labor Day. I suppose he probably wouldn’t have much cared, though, so it’s fine.
But what’s not fine is how little fans in general appreciate Marvin Miller and misapprehend what he did for both players and the game. People have been brainwashed in this country for the past 30 years that labor unions are bad, workers are lazy and the people who own businesses are justified in making their billions while those who have contributed their work to all of that are vilified as socialists for even asking for a piece of it.
But watch this video essay from Keith Olbermann about Miller in which he explains how none of the horrors imagined by baseball owners and fans ever came to pass as a result of free agencies and rising player salaries. And remember, as Olbermann notes, that it wasn’t a player who just signed a $6 billion contract, it was the Los Angeles Dodgers. And no one ever accuses them of being greedy the way players are so accused.
Hope you had a happy Labor Day. Hope you remembered what the day is for.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)