Sep 3, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Or some sort of acknowledgement of one of the foremost labor leaders in history on Labor Day. I suppose he probably wouldn’t have much cared, though, so it’s fine.
But what’s not fine is how little fans in general appreciate Marvin Miller and misapprehend what he did for both players and the game. People have been brainwashed in this country for the past 30 years that labor unions are bad, workers are lazy and the people who own businesses are justified in making their billions while those who have contributed their work to all of that are vilified as socialists for even asking for a piece of it.
But watch this video essay from Keith Olbermann about Miller in which he explains how none of the horrors imagined by baseball owners and fans ever came to pass as a result of free agencies and rising player salaries. And remember, as Olbermann notes, that it wasn’t a player who just signed a $6 billion contract, it was the Los Angeles Dodgers. And no one ever accuses them of being greedy the way players are so accused.
Hope you had a happy Labor Day. Hope you remembered what the day is for.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)