Adam Dunn is considering retirement

Sep 4, 2013, 8:24 AM EST

Chicago White Sox Photo Day Getty Images

Ken Rosenthal reports thatAdam Dunn is considering retirement. He calls this season “a big letdown” and does not have any compunction about walking away from the money guaranteed on his deal — $15 million for 2014 — and doesn’t matter if he falls short of 500 homers, which is two seasons or so away for him.

I’d chalk this up to frustration. And his comments later in the article suggest that after he washes off the stink of this year he’ll be back come spring. But it’s definitely been a downer of a year. If you forget about his inexplicably nightmarish 2011 season for a moment, 2013 is his worst season as a major leaguer and it doesn’t help that the Sox are out of contention.

He still has the homers — 30 so far this year — but he’s now had three straight years in which his OBP is below career norms. He’s still useful, even if overpaid, but he’s several years removed from being truly valuable.

1. contraryguy - Sep 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM

He’s 33 and playing in a league where guys like Mark Reynolds are still in demand, hardly time for him to hang it up. Maybe he just hates being on a crappy team.

• number42is1 - Sep 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Or maybe he’s got just a bit of pride and unlike most of the league he realizes that the money is not as important. speculation on my part and I am not saying that he’s worthless but maybe he understands that he’s got more money than he can spend in 5 lifetimes and wants to spend time with his family.

• southofheaven81 - Sep 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Easy to say when it’s not $15 million going into YOUR account for 6 months of work.

• Old Gator - Sep 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM

You’re right. It’s not going into my account either and I find it just as easy to say.

• santosjeffrey5677 - Sep 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Go Grab 10$ on your registration, we are Inviting everyone to join our d
        ynamic team..working online is getting famous nowadays.
        data entry specialist needed..earn upto $50/hour. visit our site..U.S and U.K residents are prioritized go home site then tab for detail..~ x­u­ℛl.e­s/b8vd​3

• gibbyfan - Sep 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM

its an admirable but rare quality today……….Big Mac did it and you have to erspect it.

• Trying my damnest - Sep 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Oh Please!!!! Where do I begin with this big bum? To begin with, NO ONE in baseball walks away from that EASY-PEASY money. Did I say PLEASE? He has NO pride. If he did the big bum would have altered his batting approach LONG before the 2nd half of this year….he admitted that he refused to alter his stance, but finally gave him after a great deal of prodding from coaches. The big bum is just feeling sorry for himself, but will surely get over that in about 2 weeks after the season AND his wife slaps him around AND reminds him that she had plans for the 15M…….DONE has been a BUM and Kenny Williams’ folly…..they deserve each other….it was ill-fated to begin with cuz he also insisted on play defense, like he was the 2nd coming of Keith Hernandez. This story just adds to my huge dislike of Dunn and him crapping all over my White Sox….if he wants to do something…have him give half of the money back that he has ALREADY earned! PLEASE!

• number42is1 - Sep 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

He fu*ked your mom and sister, didn’t he “trying my damndest”?

• jeffbbf - Sep 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Has Dunn ever been on a good team? I don’t think he’s ever been in the post-season.

2. proudlycanadian - Sep 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Several teams, including the Yankees, would probably take him next season if Chicago payed the majority of his salary.

3. jm91rs - Sep 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I call BS on this. What I hear is “yeah I know I’m over-payed, I know I suck. I’m so sad about cashing these checks every week that I’m going to go into this off season acting like I might not show up next year. In reality I’ll still be here, and I’ll probably sign a contract somewhere else to play DH after next year. No way I’m walking away from the $20M + still on the table in my career. I’m going to give you guys something to think about when I end my career with terrible overall numbers, a lazy player label, but an incredible 550 homers. If I weren’t so stubborn and swinging for the fences every time I would have been a decent hitter with above average HR totals.”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM

The guy who has more than 150 more walks than the #2 person since ’02 is definitely swinging for the fences every time he steps up to the plate. He’s also 4th in BB% in the non-Barry Bonds division.

• zzalapski - Sep 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM

If I have a defensively-challenged slugger who can put up a 120 OPS+ over his career, I put him in LF/RF/1B/DH and don’t give a damn what kind of label he gets.

• Trying my damnest - Sep 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Egg-XACTLY! My thoughts to the tee! If it were football or even basketball, maybe….but baseball is just too easy to give up 15K….who is he kidding and DH/1B to boot? Ain’t exactly like he has to stay in shape (or has). What? He can no longer choke down 10 burgers and 10 beers before a game or take 4 awful ABs every game…..maybe it’s the scorching sun on the south side of Chicago that is baking his brain. But he AIN’T giving up 15K……just shut up Adam and laugh all the way to the bank!

4. jlovenotjlo - Sep 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

This is extremely surprising to hear this now after what he went through in 2011. I would think that that year would put things into perspective a little bit when he has a season in which is numbers are a notch lower than his career numbers.

In my opinion, he really doesn’t even suck this year, I’ll take the .330 OBP with 30 home runs, just maybe not at that price. He led baseball in walks last season and had 41 home runs. I have to think the garbage baseball the White Sox have been playing contributes to his discouragement.

5. yahmule - Sep 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I thought he might stick around to surpass Reggie Jackson in whiffs. That mark may never fall if Dunn doesn’t take it down.

• weaselpuppy - Sep 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

That’s the Reynolds Paradox- you have to be BOTH long term productive AND have a huge K rate….

My top 3 candidates-

1) Giancarlo Stanton- Big HR power, high K rate, still 23…570K in just shy of 4 seasons, none of them full years

2) Austin Jackson- High K rate, just 26, productive on D and with the bat, not completely reliant on his speed ofr offensive production, as it usually goes *poof* at age 30 or so…

3) Pedro Alvarez- Big power, huge K rate, 24? yrs old…strikes me as the type to not have the 17+ yr career that a guy needs to get near that record though

4) BJ Upton- He’d be #2 on the list, but if he keep splaying like thi she’ll be out of the league in a couple years…

dark horse? Mark Trumbo….verrry Dave Kingman…

• tuberippin - Sep 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I’m just glad Jim Thome didn’t break that, even though I wanted him to keep playing.

6. henryd3rd - Sep 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

This must be music to the ears of Jerry Reinsdorf, Ken Harrelson and Kenny Williams. No way he walks away from $15 Million. I felt they were crazy for signing him to that ridiculous contract; but I’m sure before they go to bed at night they pray that he’ll retire. If it happens I can hear the Hawk yelling at the top of his lungs, “He’s gone”

7. hojo20 - Sep 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Potential of 500 homers? See you in Cooperstown, Adam.

8. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

when I saw the strikeouts all time list I was suprised really to see A-rod up there in the top 10. Anyways Dun has always been fascinating to me, he is a guy that can strikeout 200 times wall anothe 100 bat 230 have an a OBP of 330 and scorch 40 plus homeruns. He is just one of the weirdest players I’ve seen but relatively looks like a good guy. he seems to understand that he strikeouts A LOT and its negative for a team not like say, Mark Reynolds who tried to defend his huge K totals…lawl. If he played till 36 or 37 then he will very much have 550-600 homeruns. I would like to see him play till he can’t bomb 20-25 a year Because honestly his over rall numbers aren’t great but with the walks and power he will be a very VERY interesting HOF case. Which I would vote him in anyways.

9. geoknows - Sep 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

We all know that Adam Dunn has never really liked playing baseball anyway, right? JP Ricciardi told us so, so it must be true.

10. alan3008 - Sep 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

He looks out of shape. Not the same form he was as a Cincinnati Red. Sad to see him thinking about retirement at such a young age. He should be able to go another five years at least. Maybe his eyesight is failing him somehow.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5230)
  2. M. Kemp (3108)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2800)
  4. C. McGehee (2793)