Sep 4, 2013, 8:24 AM EST
Ken Rosenthal reports thatAdam Dunn is considering retirement. He calls this season “a big letdown” and does not have any compunction about walking away from the money guaranteed on his deal — $15 million for 2014 — and doesn’t matter if he falls short of 500 homers, which is two seasons or so away for him.
I’d chalk this up to frustration. And his comments later in the article suggest that after he washes off the stink of this year he’ll be back come spring. But it’s definitely been a downer of a year. If you forget about his inexplicably nightmarish 2011 season for a moment, 2013 is his worst season as a major leaguer and it doesn’t help that the Sox are out of contention.
He still has the homers — 30 so far this year — but he’s now had three straight years in which his OBP is below career norms. He’s still useful, even if overpaid, but he’s several years removed from being truly valuable.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 10
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)