Sep 4, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Giants catcher Buster Posey lost the nail on his right ring finger in the sixth inning Tuesday when he was clipped by a Madison Bumgarner bouncer and is not in the starting lineup for Wednesday night’s series finale at Petco Park against the Padres.
Posey told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that the finger is still sore. The hope is that he will be ready for Friday’s series opener against the Diamondbacks. Hector Sanchez is starting behind the plate on Wednesday in San Diego.
Posey has batted .309/.377/.475 with 14 home runs and 69 RBI in 130 games this season for the defending World Series champions, who are currently 22 games back of the first-place Dodgers in the National League West standings.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 54
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)