Sep 4, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Giants catcher Buster Posey lost the nail on his right ring finger in the sixth inning Tuesday when he was clipped by a Madison Bumgarner bouncer and is not in the starting lineup for Wednesday night’s series finale at Petco Park against the Padres.
Posey told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that the finger is still sore. The hope is that he will be ready for Friday’s series opener against the Diamondbacks. Hector Sanchez is starting behind the plate on Wednesday in San Diego.
Posey has batted .309/.377/.475 with 14 home runs and 69 RBI in 130 games this season for the defending World Series champions, who are currently 22 games back of the first-place Dodgers in the National League West standings.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 0
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 7
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 31
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)