Sep 4, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Giants catcher Buster Posey lost the nail on his right ring finger in the sixth inning Tuesday when he was clipped by a Madison Bumgarner bouncer and is not in the starting lineup for Wednesday night’s series finale at Petco Park against the Padres.
Posey told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that the finger is still sore. The hope is that he will be ready for Friday’s series opener against the Diamondbacks. Hector Sanchez is starting behind the plate on Wednesday in San Diego.
Posey has batted .309/.377/.475 with 14 home runs and 69 RBI in 130 games this season for the defending World Series champions, who are currently 22 games back of the first-place Dodgers in the National League West standings.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)