Sep 4, 2013, 6:13 PM EST
Giants catcher Buster Posey lost the nail on his right ring finger in the sixth inning Tuesday when he was clipped by a Madison Bumgarner bouncer and is not in the starting lineup for Wednesday night’s series finale at Petco Park against the Padres.
Posey told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that the finger is still sore. The hope is that he will be ready for Friday’s series opener against the Diamondbacks. Hector Sanchez is starting behind the plate on Wednesday in San Diego.
Posey has batted .309/.377/.475 with 14 home runs and 69 RBI in 130 games this season for the defending World Series champions, who are currently 22 games back of the first-place Dodgers in the National League West standings.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 8
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 90
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)