Sep 4, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Giants catcher Buster Posey lost the nail on his right ring finger in the sixth inning Tuesday when he was clipped by a Madison Bumgarner bouncer and is not in the starting lineup for Wednesday night’s series finale at Petco Park against the Padres.
Posey told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that the finger is still sore. The hope is that he will be ready for Friday’s series opener against the Diamondbacks. Hector Sanchez is starting behind the plate on Wednesday in San Diego.
Posey has batted .309/.377/.475 with 14 home runs and 69 RBI in 130 games this season for the defending World Series champions, who are currently 22 games back of the first-place Dodgers in the National League West standings.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 0
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 14
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)