Sep 4, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Maybin has played just 14 games this season because of wrist and knee injuries, and a few weeks ago the Padres basically admitted they weren’t counting on him in September, although then his knee was believed to be the main issue.
According to Brock there’s some chance he’ll be recovered in time to play winter ball. Maybin is under team control through at least 2016 as part of a five-year, $25 million contract signed in March of last year. He’s hit just .235 with a .638 OPS since signing the deal, missing half of the Padres’ games.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 26
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 67
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)