Sep 4, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Slow news day. So slow the drug suspensions are early. From the blotter:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that St. Louis Cardinals Minor League second baseman Brett Wiley has received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine. The suspension of Wiley, who is currently on the roster of the Single-A State College Spikes of the New York-Penn League, is effective immediately.
Wiley was a 13th round pick from last year who has been killing it in the low minors this year, with a line of .308/.395/.462 in 60 games. But what he was doing during those 60 cost him 50. So, bye.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 34
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 84
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)