Sep 4, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Slow news day. So slow the drug suspensions are early. From the blotter:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that St. Louis Cardinals Minor League second baseman Brett Wiley has received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine. The suspension of Wiley, who is currently on the roster of the Single-A State College Spikes of the New York-Penn League, is effective immediately.
Wiley was a 13th round pick from last year who has been killing it in the low minors this year, with a line of .308/.395/.462 in 60 games. But what he was doing during those 60 cost him 50. So, bye.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (113)