Sep 4, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
Slow news day. So slow the drug suspensions are early. From the blotter:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that St. Louis Cardinals Minor League second baseman Brett Wiley has received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine. The suspension of Wiley, who is currently on the roster of the Single-A State College Spikes of the New York-Penn League, is effective immediately.
Wiley was a 13th round pick from last year who has been killing it in the low minors this year, with a line of .308/.395/.462 in 60 games. But what he was doing during those 60 cost him 50. So, bye.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)