Sep 4, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Slow news day. So slow the drug suspensions are early. From the blotter:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that St. Louis Cardinals Minor League second baseman Brett Wiley has received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine. The suspension of Wiley, who is currently on the roster of the Single-A State College Spikes of the New York-Penn League, is effective immediately.
Wiley was a 13th round pick from last year who has been killing it in the low minors this year, with a line of .308/.395/.462 in 60 games. But what he was doing during those 60 cost him 50. So, bye.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 10
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 28
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)