Sep 4, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
There’s a player who is helping a team with its playoff push. That player is having his best year from a power-hitting perspective of his career at age 35. That player was recently given a 50-game drug suspension. That player is represented by the ACES agency. Given all of that you’d think he’d be public enemy number one among the PED police, but he’s gotten little if any scrutiny. That player is Marlon Byrd.
Today Bob Nightengale of USA Today talks to Byrd about all of that. Nightengale writes that “there are people out there convinced he’s cheating, that somehow, someway, he has found a way to circumvent the system,” but I really can’t recall anyone actually questioning Byrd this year. For the most part it’s been “nice season” and “hey, what a good free agent pickup by the Mets.” I can’t recall anyone talking about him as if it was certain he was cheating or anything.
Which, good. Byrd got caught last year and did his time. He’s been tested this year and has passed them all. It’s nice that, at least in his case, people are willing to let the past be the past and allow the drug testing system, as opposed to their irrational convictions, decide if the player is clean or not and if he’s deserving of vilification or not.
Not sure why some players get treated fairly like Byrd is and some don’t, but it happens all the time.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)