Sep 4, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
There’s a player who is helping a team with its playoff push. That player is having his best year from a power-hitting perspective of his career at age 35. That player was recently given a 50-game drug suspension. That player is represented by the ACES agency. Given all of that you’d think he’d be public enemy number one among the PED police, but he’s gotten little if any scrutiny. That player is Marlon Byrd.
Today Bob Nightengale of USA Today talks to Byrd about all of that. Nightengale writes that “there are people out there convinced he’s cheating, that somehow, someway, he has found a way to circumvent the system,” but I really can’t recall anyone actually questioning Byrd this year. For the most part it’s been “nice season” and “hey, what a good free agent pickup by the Mets.” I can’t recall anyone talking about him as if it was certain he was cheating or anything.
Which, good. Byrd got caught last year and did his time. He’s been tested this year and has passed them all. It’s nice that, at least in his case, people are willing to let the past be the past and allow the drug testing system, as opposed to their irrational convictions, decide if the player is clean or not and if he’s deserving of vilification or not.
Not sure why some players get treated fairly like Byrd is and some don’t, but it happens all the time.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)