Sep 4, 2013, 8:32 PM EST
As first relayed by Kansas City Star beat writer Bob Dutton, the Royals have officially activated outfielder Lorenzo Cain from the 15-day disabled list in time for Wednesday night’s game against the Mariners.
Cain has been out for a month with a strained left oblique muscle and still hasn’t been cleared to hit, but he can play defense and serve as a pinch-runner so the Royals decided to get him back on the active roster anyway. Cain should be able to return to the Royals’ starting lineup at some point next week.
The 27-year-old center fielder is hitting .261/.324/.362 with four home runs, 43 RBI and 12 stolen bases in 96 games this season for third-place Kansas City. Jarrod Dyson has been getting the majority of the playing time in center in Cain’s absence.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)