Sep 4, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
As first relayed by Kansas City Star beat writer Bob Dutton, the Royals have officially activated outfielder Lorenzo Cain from the 15-day disabled list in time for Wednesday night’s game against the Mariners.
Cain has been out for a month with a strained left oblique muscle and still hasn’t been cleared to hit, but he can play defense and serve as a pinch-runner so the Royals decided to get him back on the active roster anyway. Cain should be able to return to the Royals’ starting lineup at some point next week.
The 27-year-old center fielder is hitting .261/.324/.362 with four home runs, 43 RBI and 12 stolen bases in 96 games this season for third-place Kansas City. Jarrod Dyson has been getting the majority of the playing time in center in Cain’s absence.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 32
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 58
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 48
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)