Sep 4, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
Pirates outfielder Starling Marte was placed on the disabled list August 24 with a right hand contusion.
It was thought of as a fairly minor injury at the time, but Marte is still nowhere close to being activated.
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the 24-year-old “cannot let loose throwing” and has “yet to take swings two-handed” due to lingering pain in his right hand. Which means that it will be at least another two weeks before Marte is able to play in a game. He was eligible to for activation on Tuesday.
Marte was batting .282/.343/.443 with 11 home runs, 35 steals and 79 runs scored in 118 games this season as the Pirates’ primary leadoff man.
He also boasts a major-league best 10 triples.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 1
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 176
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)