Sep 4, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
Pirates outfielder Starling Marte was placed on the disabled list August 24 with a right hand contusion.
It was thought of as a fairly minor injury at the time, but Marte is still nowhere close to being activated.
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the 24-year-old “cannot let loose throwing” and has “yet to take swings two-handed” due to lingering pain in his right hand. Which means that it will be at least another two weeks before Marte is able to play in a game. He was eligible to for activation on Tuesday.
Marte was batting .282/.343/.443 with 11 home runs, 35 steals and 79 runs scored in 118 games this season as the Pirates’ primary leadoff man.
He also boasts a major-league best 10 triples.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)