Sep 4, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
Pirates outfielder Starling Marte was placed on the disabled list August 24 with a right hand contusion.
It was thought of as a fairly minor injury at the time, but Marte is still nowhere close to being activated.
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the 24-year-old “cannot let loose throwing” and has “yet to take swings two-handed” due to lingering pain in his right hand. Which means that it will be at least another two weeks before Marte is able to play in a game. He was eligible to for activation on Tuesday.
Marte was batting .282/.343/.443 with 11 home runs, 35 steals and 79 runs scored in 118 games this season as the Pirates’ primary leadoff man.
He also boasts a major-league best 10 triples.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 58
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)