Sep 4, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
Pirates outfielder Starling Marte was placed on the disabled list August 24 with a right hand contusion.
It was thought of as a fairly minor injury at the time, but Marte is still nowhere close to being activated.
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the 24-year-old “cannot let loose throwing” and has “yet to take swings two-handed” due to lingering pain in his right hand. Which means that it will be at least another two weeks before Marte is able to play in a game. He was eligible to for activation on Tuesday.
Marte was batting .282/.343/.443 with 11 home runs, 35 steals and 79 runs scored in 118 games this season as the Pirates’ primary leadoff man.
He also boasts a major-league best 10 triples.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)