Sep 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: The original version of this post linked to a story that, it has been brought to our attention, was blatantly plagiarized from Bill Shaikin’s report from the Los Angeles Times. Apologies to Shaikin and the Times. And shame on the jerks who just reprinted their article without link or attribution.
The Angels have been negotiating with the Anaheim city council over their lease at the Big A. Which I don’t think is “The Big A” anymore, but old habits die hard. Anyway: under the lease the Angels had the right to relocate after 2016 if they wanted. It’s now been extended to 2019 as Arte Moreno and the city continue to negotiate over a longer term arrangement.
The more interesting part for those of us without a stake in the lease: the Angels can now drop the “of Anaheim” from their name if they want to:
Another portion of the lease that will energize fans is that Anaheim is giving up it’s stake to the Halos name. In the past, the Angels were required to have “Anaheim” in their name, hence the “of Anaheim” in their title. In it’s current state, Moreno can remove the suffix and simply call his club the Los Angeles Angels.
They’ve been the Los Angeles Angels. The California Angels. The Anaheim Angels. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. At this point, it really doesn’t matter where they say they’re from. We know where the ballpark is. I just regret that they didn’t go with “The O.C. Angels” at some point. They coulda ridden some temporary pop culture wave with that about ten years ago. Alas.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)