Sep 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: The original version of this post linked to a story that, it has been brought to our attention, was blatantly plagiarized from Bill Shaikin’s report from the Los Angeles Times. Apologies to Shaikin and the Times. And shame on the jerks who just reprinted their article without link or attribution.
The Angels have been negotiating with the Anaheim city council over their lease at the Big A. Which I don’t think is “The Big A” anymore, but old habits die hard. Anyway: under the lease the Angels had the right to relocate after 2016 if they wanted. It’s now been extended to 2019 as Arte Moreno and the city continue to negotiate over a longer term arrangement.
The more interesting part for those of us without a stake in the lease: the Angels can now drop the “of Anaheim” from their name if they want to:
Another portion of the lease that will energize fans is that Anaheim is giving up it’s stake to the Halos name. In the past, the Angels were required to have “Anaheim” in their name, hence the “of Anaheim” in their title. In it’s current state, Moreno can remove the suffix and simply call his club the Los Angeles Angels.
They’ve been the Los Angeles Angels. The California Angels. The Anaheim Angels. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. At this point, it really doesn’t matter where they say they’re from. We know where the ballpark is. I just regret that they didn’t go with “The O.C. Angels” at some point. They coulda ridden some temporary pop culture wave with that about ten years ago. Alas.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 23
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 66
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)