And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Sep 5, 2013, 6:52 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

Red Sox 20, Tigers 4: Well, that was something. Eight homers in all for the Red Sox. Two from David Ortiz, who picked up his 2,000th career hit as well. Injury added to insult: Jose Iglesias left the game with shin splints.

Cardinals 5, Reds 4: A sixteen inning affair in which Matt Adams homered twice in extra innings. Once in the 14th and once in the 16th. The latter, obviously provided the margin of victory. The Cards are two and a half up on Cincinnati for second place. They play their last head-to-head game today. That is, unless you count the wild card game for which they are on a collision course.

Athletics 11, Rangers 4: And the West is tied again. A’s bats knock Yu Darvish around like crazy and Jarrod Parker extends his unbeaten streak to 18 games. He hasn’t lost since May 22. Darvish walked six guys in five innings and change. He’s 1-5 against Oakland.

Indians 6, Orioles 4: With this the Indians move ahead of the Orioles and just behind the Yankees in the wild card race. Watch out for Cleveland. Yes, they have two teams ahead of them in that race now, but they also play 14 of their final 23 against the likes of the White Sox, Twins and Astros.

Nationals 3, Phillies 2: Roy Halladay is a shell of his former self, but he battled hard with the few weapons he has left after starting out the game with multiple walks and all kinds of other trouble. Of course the Phillies’ pen couldn’t hold a lead for him. They’re exactly like their former selves.

Mets 5, Braves 2: Call it a hunch, but I don’t think Kameron Loe is going to be in the Braves playoff rotation. Andrew Brown and Lucas Duda homered off of him and Dillon Gee didn’t give the Braves much of anything to work with.

Astros 6, Twins 5: Trevor Crowe knocked in Jonathan Villar in the ninth with the game-winning single. It was the first time in six tries the Astros beat the Twins.

Cubs 9, Marlins 7: The Cubs avoid getting swept, hitting four homers in the process and posting a four-run seventh inning. The Marlins pen blew 6-3 and 7-4 leads.

Diamondbacks 4, Blue Jays 3: The Diamondbacks walked off with a Willie Bloomquist single. Then they did what has become their little walkoff celebration: getting muddy. Like, literally adding water to some infield dirt and smearing the guy with mud. This is where the whole “the Diamondbacks are gritty” thing has led. It has also led to them still being 7 games out of a playoff spot, but hey, grit.

Giants 13, Padres 5: Pablo Sandoval has had a nightmare season but he hit three homers here, reminding everyone of his Game 1 performance in last year’s World Series. He only had 10 homers all season coming into this game.

Yankees 6, White Sox 5: CC Sabathia looked OK for a change, allowing three runs in seven and a third. A couple RBI a piece for Brett Gardner and Robinson Cano. The Yanks sweep the mailing-it-in White Sox. The Yankees are 2.5 back of the wild card.

Mariners 6, Royals 4: Kendrys Morales hit a two-run homer with two outs in the ninth inning for the winning margin. The Royals used eight pitchers in nine innings because, I dunno, Ned Yost wanted some screen time.

Brewers 9, Pirates 3: I suppose it would be some story if the Pirates went on a 25-game losing streak to end the season and deprive themselves of a winning record. That’s not gonna happen, but it really would be something.

Rays 3, Angels 1: Two homers for Wil Myers, off Jered Weaver no less. In other news, when I was a kid parents knew how to spell their childrens’ names properly.

Rockies 7, Dodgers 5: Jorge De La Rosa ties for the NL wins lead with 16. Brian Kenny then dropped into the ballpark from his Kill-the-Win-a-Copter wearing a Bane mask, sprayed the crowd with gunfire and told them all that only when De La Rosa leads the league in FIP and WAR do they have his permission to cheer.

1. lewp - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Red Sox 20, Tigers 4: No word on which Tiger pitcher had the misfortune of giving up that many runs? I’ll check the box score.

• lewp - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM

R. Porcello, (L 11-8) 5.0 7 9 8 4 4 3 26 102 41 – 61 4.76 .278

Man, surprised he lasted 5 innings.

• ashot - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Al Al also gave up 4 runs in 2/3 of an inning and Bonderman gave up 5 in 1 inning. So Porcello was actually one of the better Tigers’ pitchers yesterday.

Another fun fact is that before the game the Tigers’ run differential was 29 better than the Red Sox. Now it’s 3 worse.

• Detroit Michael - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM

There’s a whole separate HardballTalk post about the game if you wanted more details.

• lewp - Sep 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

You have some great information, but you didn’t provide a link. I tried clicking on the lonk that Craig provided, it goes no where.

• Detroit Michael - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM

It was just two posts before this one. If you look at the “film strip” band of stories across the top of this screen, you’ll see it.

• indaburg - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM

You had to look it up? I knew without looking only one Detroit pitcher was capable of such devolution: Porcello.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Congratulations. You just figured out the difference between a witty recap and a box score.

2. dondada10 - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Yu Darvish and A.J. Pierzynski got into an arguement on the mound in the 2nd. Pierzynski then threw a tantrum in the dugout.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I will have to look for some video of that.

• lewp - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I tried looking for video and couldn’t find any, but I did find this in the basement of the Dallas Morning News:

“Darvish struggled with his command from the start, bouncing balls in front of the plate and piling up his pitch count. By the second, he had already matched a season high with four walks and had thrown 42 pitches.

At one point, Darvish made a pointed gesture that appeared to signal catcher A.J. Pierzynski to go back behind the plate during a visit by pitching coach Mike Maddux. But Pierzynski downplayed the incident.

“He had a command issue. I went out there to calm him down. I wasn’t paying attention,” Pierzynski said.

• moogro - Sep 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Big discussion about it last night on MLB network. Boiled down to Yu not liking people coming to the mound, period. He even turned away from Maddux while he was talking to him.

• indaburg - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM

AJ arguing? Say it ain’t so.

3. cur68 - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM

When I was a kid (45 years ago) my parents elected to spell my name “R”, “I”, “K”. Dang hippies.

Now I gotta go to work. My patients from yesterday, little “Chaim” (dad’s Irish from 3 generations ago, so natch, saddle the kid with a name no one can pronounce) “Ngor” (don’t ask me how to say that) and “Rupert” (Rupert? Really? He better grow big and learn to fight) need me.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM

You know, there’s a reason a couple of hundred years ago little Beauregards, Beulahs, and Jebediahs just signed with an X.

• indaburg - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Because they were illiterate.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM

You would be too if you had a name like that.

• indaburg - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Nah, I’m a fairly decent speller especially with names (watch me make a stupid typo now).

My grandma signed with an X. Her name? The difficult to spell Maria. She was illiterate.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

My sister wanted to name her son Nebuchadnezzar. I said: he will be 6 before he can spell his own name and it will take the whole Big Chief writing pad. Plus, the other kids will call him Nebbie or Cad.

My grandma on my mom’s side only went through grade school, so penmanship was a big deal to her. I wrote her letters and she was always big on readable cursive.

• indaburg - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Your sister was serious? She was high.

My sister named her son Jayson. I insist on pronouncing the superfluous ‘y’, much to her chagrin.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM

She said she wanted something unusual (and Biblical). Thankfully, Mom talked her down. She went with something common and dull instead. I pushed for a happy medium, but aunts have no naming rights. My mom is a stickler on these things, since her sister named her kids things that end in “y.” Mom insists they have a name they can grow into. My bestie named her daughter “Elsa” — she is not from here and I could not make her understand that Americans would 1) make fun of that and 2) call her Elsie. Sigh, Europeans.

Good for you. Your poor nephew. He might as well go all out and add an accent mark or umlaut to flair it up now.

• spudchukar - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

All those names, and Craig too for that matter were originally spelled differently.

• cur68 - Sep 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Good news folks. First, I found out that “Chaim” is pronounced “Shem”. Then I found out that his eclamptic mother was finally able to see him and she unilaterally decided she was going to pronounce it “David” and spell it like that, too. She informed his father that they would name the dog “Chaim” and that he, Dad, could join it under one roof if Dad had any objection to “David”. Since pretty much no one messes with a new mom, he’s gonna be Dave from here out. Kid won’t know how close he came to being “Shem-ed”.

Sadly little “Ngor” continues as Ngor (poor lil thing) and wee Rupert was sent home with his hippy-dippy parents, dog take their souls. So we batted .333 today in the ‘Ole NICU. That aint bad, I guess.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I was almost Davida.

/shudders

• cur68 - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Dang hippies.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

It’s a family thing — naming the oldest daughter after dad. I dodged that bullet. Thanks, gramma. By the time my sister rolled around, they’d figured to use dad’s middle name. Neener neener.

• Detroit Michael - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Wil Myers’ given name is William, so I have no idea why he shortens it to just “Wil.” It might be that he doesn’t know how to spell rather than his parents.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

It’s zippier.

• nbjays - Sep 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I have two friends who were named Thomas by their parents. One now goes by Tom, the other prefers Thom.

It is all a matter of preference.

4. aceshigh11 - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:50 AM

20-4.

Wow, talk about a slaughter. Really didn’t expect that against a team as solid as the Tigers.

Hopefully they didn’t gas themselves and they’ve still got some in the tank for the next few weeks.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Congrats to Big Papi. That was great for him. I wish it wasn’t against us, but thems the cards.

Don’t be calling for our demise now. You know when you get a score like that it’s just a bad night — well, unless it’s the Astros or something. When it’s a good team like ours, I chalk it up to a perfect hitting storm. On any given night in baseball….

Of course,last night I was wondering what the hell Leyland was doing and why he left Porcello in so long. Then the others came out, and I wanted to hug Ol’ Jim. At least the MLB audio broke for the worst of it. Hear no evil anyway.

• indaburg - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM

It was just one of those nights. It still just counts as a single loss. Fortunately, there are no style points in baseball.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Oh, don’t worry. I still got TONS of BloSox gloating on FB. ABBOY!

• indaburg - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Let ‘em gloat. Their comeuppance will come.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Whatever. We’re still up for the season, so they can say what they want. In their hearts they know they got lucky there…and that it wasn’t like they did that to Scherzer and a healthy Miggy & Iggy.

• Old Gator - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM

If there were style points in baseball, no team with A J Pierzynski on it would ever get to the postseason.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Hey, did someone call Hate AJ Day and no one told me? He’s my favorite dirtbag.

Speaking of style points, I do believe Burgie is right: the BloSox players look like homeless men in dress whites. They have kind of an insane asylum vibe going on.

• nbjays - Sep 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I usually shut up the Bosox gloaters by saying “Remember that last month of 2011? Wasn’t that a great race?”

5. pastabelly - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

2-1 over Scherzer was a more impressive win.

6. tfbuckfutter - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Overshadowed by the final score is the fact that Ryan Dumpster pitched shittily yet again.

• bruininnh1984 - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM

so i guess 4 earned runs against a pretty good lineup even without cabrera is shitty? he allowed 3 in the third and got out of a big situation in the 4th allowing only the 1 run, and that was it for him. him going 6 and doing that is all you can really ask of him at this point in his career. The Red Sox only really need him to eat innings and he did just that last night.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Are you joking?

You’re not paying a guy $13,000,000 to “just eat innings”.

He is now almost exactly as awful for Boston as he was for Texas when Texas made the dumbassed decision to bring over an NL-retread (ERA+ of 87 to 86 for the Rangers last year….and a notably worse WHIP)

And yes, giving up 4 runs in 6 innings is shitty. An ERA of 6.00 is very very shitty.

• bruininnh1984 - Sep 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM

so i guess you still think that dempster is a top of the rotation pitcher and have been watching the red sox all year. dempster has rarely given up less than 4 runs all year and yet gets more run support than lackey, who, in my opinion, has been a much, much better pitcher than dempster. dempster scares me every time he takes the mound, so yeah, i’ll take him giving up 4 and going 6 every time.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM

No, dummy. I DON’T think Dumpster is a top of the rotation pitcher. Did you not just see me point out how stupid is was of Texas to trade for him?

However, they are PAYING him to perform as, at least, a #3 and he’s 13% worse than AVERAGE. Suggesting they only signed him to eat innings is ridiculous.

And yeah. Lackey being better than Dumpster is something you can’t quantify just by looking at a stat sheet. The whole run and a half difference in ERA and all….

And again, giving up 4 runs in 6 innings is bad. VERY bad. If he went 6 innings every time and gave up 4 runs every time he would be the worst qualifying pitcher in almost any given season. Consistent, sure….but still atrocious.

It only isn’t obvious how bad his performance was because the Sox scored a ridiculous amount of runs and the bullpen held the same imposing lineup scoreless (while, based on performance, Dumpster could have been expected to give up 2 more runs in those last 3 innings)….and it wasn’t exactly the cream of the bullpen.

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM

He couldn’t have been shittier? Just for one night?

7. janessa31888 - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:23 AM

My tribe won thanks to our ex Blue Jay and Tiger bench. Love that Yan Gomes! Mike Aviles has been very helpful as well. Ryan Raburn comes off the DL and produces as well. Must have been the power of the Rally Chicken that a mysterious Indians player brought to BP. (Justin, I’m looking at you)

8. chill1184 - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM

The Braves announcers were talking on how there was no excuse on how a NY team shouldn’t have a big time payroll. No mention that Selig is engaging in cronyism by not kicking out Wilpon or the fact that their is a $600 million loan due.

9. Old Gator - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Not much to say about the Feesh bullpen. Some callup, a Feesh future back end of the rotation and spot starter named Flynn started and pitched poorly for four innings as the Scrooge McLoria brainstem trust tries to push El Keed’s final two starts of the season back into revenue-generating dates at Macondo Banana Massacre Field. The true arsonists in this one, though, were A J Ramos and Ryan Webb, who should be blamed not even as much for coughing up the lead as for unleashing a vomit of cliches from Mike Redmond about how much of a learning experience a game like that can be for young peetchers. No word on what kind of lessons a rookie manager can learn from letting a couple of guys walk in from the pen carrying cans of gasoline.

The Feesh leemp home today, more like walking catfeesh – you’ve seen them on Animal Planet, the ones that can kinda slither through the mud when their ponds dry up. The aforementioned Keed goes tomorrow against the Gnats with an extra couple of days of deferred glory.

• lewp - Sep 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Seriously, how can anyone be interested in the feesh with an owner like theeese?

He geeeves away have the teeeem, and expects people to come watch the feeesh? He reeeeely must beeeeeee keeeeeding…..

Reeeeeeeeading about the feeeeesh is so crazyyyyyyyyyy. But of course I keeeed, I keeed.

• Old Gator - Sep 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM

You ask a valid question and of course the answer is, most folks aren’t interested – or, they’re so pissed off and disappointed that they repress their interest the way an enamored suitor represses a tic. A few of us stay interested (insofar as we can) in the team itself. And a blessed few remain convinced that Scrooge McLoria is a great owner who makes bold decisions for the good of the team and its fan base, even if that base is resting on a sinkhole. In other words, some are delusional.

10. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM

At this point, I hope the Orioles don’t make the playoffs. (Not looking likely anyways.) They don’t deserve to be there. All season it’s been the same thing. Give up a bunch of runs, hit a bunch to tie it up, then immediately and suddenly, give it all back. Seriously, can’t you hold a tie for like two innings before the hit parade starts all over again? Pack up your bags and call it a season already.

11. Detroit Michael - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Yu Darvish is 1-5 against Oakland, but that’s for his career (2012-13). He’s 0-3 this season against them.

12. Liam - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM

No mention of the Reds trying a suicide squeeze with two outs in the 15th? It looked like Choo saw the bunt attempt and lost his mind for a second, which was long enough to get into a rundown, as opposed to a call from Dusty. One of the most terrible decisions I’ve ever seen a player make.

• Old Gator - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Gezundheit.

13. sadtwinsfan - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM

didn’t know until we got home yesterday that the twins played in the afternoon, losing to the astros – we checked the box score and saw that alex baby face pressly went two for our while hitting lead off. Justin who?

with no game to watch no need to argue with happytwinsfan over what to watch. we watched red dawn, one of drunkentwinsfan favorite movies (sound muted) and googled up the 68 world series.

we came across a you tube of jim northrups 7th inning game seven triple. that tiger team, like the 91 twins, had such a balanced and deep lineup that it wore the other team down. you’d set your alarm for the seventh inning to find out from ernie harwell what was going to happen. when the baseball gods caused curt flood to stumble and northrups ball fell over his head i think i saw tears in drunkentwinsfan eyes.

14. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Jays are now 19 1/2 games out of first, if I was the Comish and yes I really should be by the way. I would come out with a new rule…….If a team finishes 20 games out of first or more, they don’t play the next season as punishment……My thinking is they stink up the joint so bad everybody needs a break from them for 1 full season…If it happens twice in a 5 year period you take 5 years off and I would work on the 3rd time punishment also…Way I see it how hard can a club be trying if you finish that many games out especially twice over a 5 year period? And if the team did try well that means whoever is running it is just too stupid to be running it in the first place…..I would do away with the wildcard and put everything back to east\west in both the AL and NL……Interleague play would be each team plays 2-3 game series against a team from the other league per season, that’s it….And I would start a rule no teams allowed that are not from the USA, this is America’s game, nobody else’s. I would also make myself king of the world as the comish because I would have the power to do so……we would start bombing Toronto immediately……

• cackalackyank - Sep 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Are you kidding me!? Prevent the easiest win in the division from playing next year? NFW.

• jwbiii - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

So you would do away with the White Sox, Astros, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, Brewers, Cubs, Padres, and Giants. As you note, the Blue Jays (-19.5) as well as the Twins (-19), Mariners (-17), Angels (-15.5), and Rockies (-18) are close.

The commissioner is hired and fired by the owners. Your tenure would last about 30 seconds after making this proposal. Just enough time for Jerry Reinsdorf to say, “I move to dismiss the commissioner. All in favor, say Aye. . . All opposed, Nay. . . The motion carries by acclimation. Security, please escort dirtyharry from the premises”

• Old Gator - Sep 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM

You gentlemen do realize that you are responding to an Artificial Stupidity, not a carbon based unit as we understand them, right? There have been some disagreements about whether or not our resident nobody is real or not, but there have been none disputing that it is stupid.

15. APBA Guy - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

After losing 4 of 6 to Houston and Seattle, the A’s rebound with 8-2 against Detroit, Tampa, and Texas. Yesterday’s game was a surprise to me inasmuch as I expected Darvish-who’s done nothing against the A’s this year at 0-3-would rebound and have a King Felix-like performance. Wrong. Scattered comments on this thread simply do not do justice to how bad he was yesterday. Pitches were flying everywhere, AJ and Mike Maddux got the divo treatment from Yu, and the result was one of those sunny afternoons when the Oakland crowd stayed on it’s feet and partied instead of snoozed peacefully, waiting for the gentle shake of the shoulder from a kindly usher, reminding our slumbering fan that it’s time to leave.

No, it’s not 2010 anymore. This team has risen to the occasion and now hosts Houston for the final time this season. Unlike the last series with Houston the A’s have to keep their foot on the gas. Ex-A’s prospect Brad Peacock versus phenom Sonny Gray tonight.

16. jwbiii - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Updated playoff odds:

Team   Cool   B-Pro
    Cle     6-1     8-1
    NYY     6-1     9-1
    Bal    29-1    18-1
    KCR    83-1   125-1

WsN    16-1    59-1
    Ari    59-1   167-1

The Indians take 2 of 3 from the Orioles, the Yankees sweep the White Sox, the Nationals take 2 of 3 from the Phillies, and the Blue Jays take 2 of 3 from the Dbacks.

This is one of those odd weeks when many teams play a three game series during the week with a four game weekend series. The Yankees continue their homestand with the Red Sox, the Orioles return home to play the White Sox, and the Diamondbacks will spend the long weekend in San Francisco. The Royals have one more game with the Mariners. Cleveland has an off day at home, so Chris Perez, his wife, and his dog can all blow smoke in each others’ ears. The Nationals have an off/travel day between Philadelphia and Miami. Given the choice, where would you rather spend it? I really like the Franklin Institute and I haven’t spent enough time there but I prefer the food in Miami, so I guess I’d go with a late afternoon flight.

Have you noticed that the Blue Jays have won three consecutive series against contenders? The Yankees, Orioles, and Dbacks. Playing the spoiler is some solace for a hugely disappointing season, I guess.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I noticed, but do not tell Harry.

17. moogro - Sep 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Second game in a row I fortunately turned on just in time to see Billy Hamilton excite with an inevitable steal, against Yadier to boot. Electric stuff that reminded me of Ricky Henderson when he completely changed the game while on the base paths. Billy is now appointment viewing.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3439)