Bob Newhart’s Baseball

Sep 5, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT

Newhart

It’s Bob Newhart’s 84t birthday.

I love Bob Newhart. My parents didn’t own many albums when I was a kid but they owned “The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart” and I listened to it all the damn time.

Newhart’s go-to thing for his lounge act was his “telephone conversation” bit in which he’d play one party to the conversation and you’d just imagine the rest. It didn’t have to be a telephone, of course. My favorite Newhart bit was “The Driving Instructor” and that took place in the front seat of a car with only the instructor talking. Poor, poor Mr. Adams.

Also good, though, was his “Nobody Will Ever Play Baseball” bit. In it he imagines what would happen if Abner Doubleday called up a game company like Parker Brothers or something and proposed the game of baseball. Enjoy, and Happy Birthday Bob Newhart:

1. Liam - Sep 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Although, you know, though I started my career… several years before Krusty, so I could never really have learned anything… directly from him, still… I think, in a way, in a very meaningful way, that I… all-all of us, have, have learned… from him. And that is by being a clown on television for, for… for so many years. Even though many of us, we didn’t watch his show. Uh, t-thank you. (smattering of applause)

2. rickdobrydney - Sep 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I have always loved Bob Newhart — One stutter of his or any telephone routines and I am reduced to helpless laughter —-

3. proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM

The Driving Instructor was by far my favorite, however, I agree that the baseball skit was also very enjoyable.

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM

He does bring up a fascinating point though. Imagine if you had to explain the basics of the game to another person, using no visual aids, and that person had never even heard of baseball before. Football, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, they are all pretty basic really. (Each team gets a side and tries to put the ball in the opponents goal).

Baseball is one that would be so incredibly difficult to fully teach. Fair, foul, bases, strikes, outs, hits, doubles, tag vs force out, all down the line. So much complexity.

5. goirishgo - Sep 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Years ago I coached my son’s four year old t-ball team. I never realized how complicated the game was until I told a kid to hit the ball and run to first base – and he ran to third.

6. jlinatl - Sep 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Hi, Bob

(Drink)

Happy birthday!

7. miketreedy - Sep 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

One of the funniest and classiest entertainers of all time.

8. beaverdam21 - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM

My father is 84, and in the early fifties joined the Columbia Record Club and got 9 free records, and this was one of them. They still have the record, and he still plays it and we still laugh. I believe he worked as an accountant before doing comedy full time and his routine about the accountant retiring isn’t bad either, or Lincoln getting turned down by everybody he knew for a night out and somebody suggested taking in a play.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5525)