Sep 5, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
Joe Mauer admitted Thursday that he’s still experiencing concussion symptoms during workouts, leaving him without a timetable for a return to the Twins lineup.
Mauer ramped up his workouts in recent days, taking batting practice and lifting weights, but that’s when the symptoms returned, he told the Star-Tribune’s LaVelle E. Neal III.
Given that the Twins have so little to gain by bringing Mauer back, the possibility exists that he won’t return this season, and even if he does make it back, he probably won’t do any catching. According to Neal, Mauer remains determined to play in 2013.
Mauer was hitting .324/.404/.476 when he suffered his concussion in a game against the Mets on Aug. 19.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 8
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)