Larry Lucchino to go after Randy Levine if a Sox-Yankees brawl breaks out tonight

Sep 5, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT

He was joking, sadly, but how much money would you pay for the team presidents of the Yankees and Red Sox to throw down on national television? I’d personally pony up $47 for it:

Of course I doubt we see any fisticiffsmanship in this Yankees-Red Sox series, even with the recent history of Ryan Dempster plunking A-Rod. For one thing, I doubt that many Yankees are willing to go to the mat for A-Rod’s honor even if they’re all saying the right things about their teammate since he came back. More importantly, though, the Yankees are only 2.5 games back of a playoff slot and they’ve needed every bit of manpower they have to get that close.  They won’t risk suspensions when every game is basically a must-win.

Still: would love to see that Levine-Lucchino throwdown.

1. rickdobrydney - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I am a Yankee fan, and I could give a damn —they are both BUMS ———-

2. chill1184 - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I would pay to watch that

• km9000 - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

If they could use the profits to help sign some free agents, then I wouldn’t put it past them.

3. bigharold - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

“.. but how much money would you pay for the team presidents of the Yankees and Red Sox to throw down on national television?”

Not a friggin nickel. Nobody ever paid to see owners, .. or their lackeys do anything.

4. rbj1 - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Is it wrong of me, as a Yankee fan, to root for Larry, and maybe slip him a knife?

• bigharold - Sep 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM

In a word, .. no.

• hockeyflow33 - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM

As a Sox fan I’m rooting for Levine

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Can’t we just take option C, have them both eat a bullet?

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM

More importantly, these games are nowhere near as important for the Red Sox as they are for the Yankees. Just as Dempster throwing (poorly) at ARod lit a fire under the the lackluster Yankees, retaliation could provide the Red Sox with extra incentive to pound the Yankees this weekend. The Red Sox have a more complete team than the Yankees this year and have a comfortable 5.5 game lead in the division to show for it. The last thing the Yankees need to do is make this some kind of pride or honor battle and get the Sox all keyed up.

That said, if Ortiz bats with his elbow in the middle of home plate I wouldn’t mind seeing the first EVER brushback pitch to him from a Yankees pitcher.

• km9000 - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Shouldn’t trying to win a World Series be enough incentive? Besides, they’ll probably all go to dinner after the games together with their agents.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM

If the Red Sox get swept AND the Rays win their next 4, the Sox will still have a 1.5 game division lead. This series is not ‘do or die’ for them in relation to their playoff chances.

6. deathmonkey41 - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Not interested, but i would sell out decent money to see Jessica Biel and Oliva Wilde go at it in Jello.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Well, there goes my work focus for the rest of the day.

7. deathmonkey41 - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Not interested, but i would shell out decent money to see Jessica Biel and Oliva Wilde go at it in Jello.

8. pisano - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Don’t get me wrong, Levine is no prince, but Lucchino is a total scumbag,(this coming from another Italian) he has so much hate for the Yankee organization, that it eats at him.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Are you kidding me?

These guys are all backslapping and scotch-sipping behind closed doors. What, you REALLY think Lucchino cares (beyond friendly rich-guy competition) as long as the money’s rolling in?

9. giantssb42champs - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Never cross an Italian (yes I’m one).

• bigharold - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I thought it was; “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”?

• aceshigh11 - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Why do so many Italians revel in pretending that they’re secretly mobbed up, as if they have an uncle who’s part of the Soprano crew, or that they’re distant cousins with the Corleone family, and yet they turn around and act OFFENDED when a non-Italian makes the same stereotyping joke?

I KNOW, I KNOW it’s different when an Italian person makes the joke his/herself , but it’s still a weird thing to me…and yes, I LOVE mob movies and TV shows as much as anyone.

• bigharold - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM

“I LOVE mob movies and TV shows as much as anyone.”

My quote was from “Prince’s Bride”.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Ah yes, ha!

My post wasn’t about that line in particular; just how Italians seem to alternately revel in and be offended by references to being mobbed up.

10. thebigtim2012 - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM

What the hell does a meatball in his mouth and a vowel at the end of his name have to do with anything? And sorry the smart money is on a mick over a wop any day

• historiophiliac - Sep 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

How is this still here?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM

My guess? The average person has no idea what either of those two references mean. But what the hell….

RAGE!

11. Kevin S. - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Steel cage match with Andrew Friedman lurking to brain whoever wins with a folding chair. I don’t watch wrestling,but that’s how these things go, right?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM

New kickstarter? New kickstarter!

12. illegalblues - Sep 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

nobody wants to watch two narcissistic old white men claw at each other like a pair of doped up cats

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Why the gotta’ be white?

• illegalblues - Sep 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM

cuz they are white. don’t read into things so much, buddy

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Lol! I hear you blues. It was tongue-in-cheek. A lot of our HBT brethren like to shout racism. In this case…they would have jumped all over you if it was the other way around. Sorry man. I should have used the sarcasm font.

• illegalblues - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

development of a sarcasm font could be a nobel peace prize winning Odyssey

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act