Reds make it three out of four, defeat Cardinals 6-2

Sep 5, 2013, 10:30 PM EST

Todd Frazier Getty Images

If they hadn’t gotten so bunt happy on Wednesday, the Reds might have made it a clean sweep. As is, they should be pretty pleased to have taken three out of four from the visiting Cardinals with their 6-2 win on Thursday.

Todd Frazier hit two of the Reds’ four homers in support of Tony Cingrani, who struck out seven in his first start back from the DL. Cingrani allowed two runs in 5 1/3 innings while improving to 7-3.

The Reds also got homers from Shin-Soo Choo and Jay Bruce. The only bad news on the night was that Brandon Phillips was lost to a quad contusion, though he might be back on Friday.

The Cardinals’ big concern at the end of the night was the continued struggles of All-Star Lance Lynn. He’s 0-5 in his last six starts, giving up 26 earned runs in 34 innings over the span. Tonight, he surrendered three of the four homers, allowing four runs over five innings in all. He’s now 13-10 with a 4.37 ERA for the season.

Thanks to the Reds, the idle Pirates now have a 1 1/2-game lead in the NL Central at 81-58. The Cards are 80-60, with the Reds three games back at 79-62.

1. Stiller43 - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Huge BUCCOS-cards series starting tomorrow. Lets go bucs!!! .500 (finally) is not what the end goal is!!

2. gibbyfan - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I have posted on here last year and this that both LL and J westrook would shake out to be medocre pitchers and even offered an opinion that they would both wind up with 4 ++ Eras. Lynn started out last year and even this pitching over his stuff so to speak. When they let Lohse go they let a legitimate dependable 3 starter go.I could see letting him test the market but was hoping they could get him back in a trade with the Brewers. SUre could have used him So I am not surprised and just wonder if I as just an old sports fan could see it–why could nt the pros.
    IMO–our only hope now is turn it ove rto the young guys and keep the fingers crossed……..Waino, miller, wacha, Kelly and ?………………put Lynn in the pen ten on the block –Write off JW.

• thomas844 - Sep 6, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Thankfully for the Cards Kelly has stepped up lately and Wacha had a terrific start against the Reds. The four man rotation you just mentioned would be more than adequate for a playoff series (if they get past my Reds in the Wild Card game, of course).

• okwhitefalcon - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Sobering fact from Richard Justice on the Cards starters:

“Cardinals rotation on June 1: 2.49 ERA. Cardinals starters since June 1: 4.41 ERA.”

Sobering fact from Joe Strauss on the Cards offensive struggles of late:

“Cards have scored 17 runs in last 13 losses.”

Sobering fact from last night in Cincy:

Ryan Jackson started a major league game at SS.

This weekend should be interesting one way or the other.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Lance’s seemingly half-assed approach to the game is driving me nuts.
      It’s been going on for a Month. He half-asses it on the mound. He half-asses it while fielding grounders. He half-asses it while fielding bunts. Cingrani’s bunt was great. And yes…he can run. But had Lance not half-assed it to 1st he would have been able to tag him out. Then…he half-asses it while Cingrani’s on 1st and he steals on him.
      What I am trying to say is…he’s a half-asser. I want to root for him. Especially considering he’s a local kid. But he’s making it tough with all the half-assing. Stupid half-assing half-asser.

• gibbyfan - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I think that too may be part of the problemI have had with him –the lack of super stuff has always been one thing but you have hit on another–I would add that he always seems to be sort of pouting out there. Dont want to sound like I am picking on the guy –obviously dont know him–but I dont see him in the mix other than maybe in the pen……..Miller on the other hand is getting tired but the stuff is still there

3. ironcity6pak - Sep 6, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Lets go bucco’s

4. uk2ndbestinthestate - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM

You smell that? Momentum…Here come the Reds

• okwhitefalcon - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Kershaw and Grienke may have something to say about that this weekend – should be a fun series.

• gibbyfan - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I hate to say it but those guys are going to have a lot to say about a lot things for a lot of years……..not to mention that young lefty rookie of the year candidate and whoever else they happen to buy along the way………………

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

When I saw the lineup last night it was apparent they have completely given up on Pete Kozma. I mean…Ryan Jackson? And that 1st ball hit to him last night should NOT have been in-field hit.

• spudchukar - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Actually, I am still very optimistic about the Cards chances. A split would have been better, of course, but the Red Birds had already won 4 series vs. a talented Reds squad, so one loss isn’t critical. If the Cards can win the home series against the Pirates, they will be in the driver’s seat going forward.

The Reds have the streaking Dodgers in town, must face both Kershaw and Grienke, and the Cards miss Liriano. And the Reds/Pirates know they play each other 6 of the last 9 games, while St. Louis play less difficult foes.

And the Reds are grinding the regulars into the Dust(y). Why Chapman finished the game was a mystery to me. Now he will undoubtedly be unavailable tonight, and perhaps even twice in the 3 game tilt against the Dodgers. Sure it was an important game, and it got the so-called “crowd” into the event, but with the upcoming schedule, it was a head-scratching move.

Hopefully, the Cards will learn from game 4. No more Ryan Jackson please. I saw enough, and Kozma makes both plays he botched. Bury Lynn in the far corner of the bull pen. Enough of his gutless nibbling, exasperating gyrations, and woe is me attitude.

And it is time for Freese, Jay and Holliday to carry their weight. Adams/Peterson and perhaps Molina can cover first, something Lynn can’t seem to master, until Craig recovers, I say no more than a week, and the home-cooking and talented youngsters ought to be enough to overcome their division rivals.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Yeah…Lynne’s half assed approach to covering 1st (among many other things) is making me lose my mind. He did the same damn thing when we went to the game against the Padres a couple of Months ago. It bothered me so much I stood up and yelled at him to get in the game. Which of course is frowned upon at Busch. But I had seen enough. And we were right down the 1st base line so I know he freaking heard me.
        Big half assed, half assing, pouty pants.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester