Sep 5, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
The NFL starts today. I’m sure most of you are happy about that. But as the sports/media zeitgeist goes football crazy, I’m going to remind myself that (a) the Orioles are playing a home game in Baltimore tonight; and (b) the Ravens are opening on the road. Why? Because the NFL was unable to bully and whine to get its own way and have the Orioles move their game.
You’ll recall the scheduling conflict from last March. The Orioles had their schedule in place first and the NFL and its surrogates, claiming Divine Right to have its Super Bowl champ open at home on Thursdays, publicly moaned and complained that the Orioles should make way for the more popular and successful NFL.
Really, that was the argument. Remember this gem? And this? And this? The entire public debate over it was couched in the Orioles “doing the right thing” and moving their previously scheduled game. Not because it made more logistical sense for anyone. Not because some treasured and long-standing tradition was in peril (the home game on Thursday night for the Super Bowl champ is a relatively new invention). But because, dammit, the NFL deserved to have that date for their use more than baseball did. Because it’s the NFL.
Well, poo, you lost, football people. And for my part I have no problem feeling petty and nyah-nyah-nyah about it all. And I sort of hope that the O’s-White Sox game tonight goes 18 sloppy innings before a 1/4 capacity crowd, just for the yuks.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 36
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)