Sep 5, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
The NFL starts today. I’m sure most of you are happy about that. But as the sports/media zeitgeist goes football crazy, I’m going to remind myself that (a) the Orioles are playing a home game in Baltimore tonight; and (b) the Ravens are opening on the road. Why? Because the NFL was unable to bully and whine to get its own way and have the Orioles move their game.
You’ll recall the scheduling conflict from last March. The Orioles had their schedule in place first and the NFL and its surrogates, claiming Divine Right to have its Super Bowl champ open at home on Thursdays, publicly moaned and complained that the Orioles should make way for the more popular and successful NFL.
Really, that was the argument. Remember this gem? And this? And this? The entire public debate over it was couched in the Orioles “doing the right thing” and moving their previously scheduled game. Not because it made more logistical sense for anyone. Not because some treasured and long-standing tradition was in peril (the home game on Thursday night for the Super Bowl champ is a relatively new invention). But because, dammit, the NFL deserved to have that date for their use more than baseball did. Because it’s the NFL.
Well, poo, you lost, football people. And for my part I have no problem feeling petty and nyah-nyah-nyah about it all. And I sort of hope that the O’s-White Sox game tonight goes 18 sloppy innings before a 1/4 capacity crowd, just for the yuks.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 4
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 37
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)