Ben Revere with a regrettable “no homo” tweet which probably violates MLB’s social media policy

Sep 6, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT

Here’s Ben Revere talking to a friend of his yesterday:

In case you’re unaware, the “no homo” thing is a longstanding phrase used by some to distance themselves from homosexuality. The presumption being that anyone who dare express love or affection or even friendship for someone of the same sex is homosexual and thus a “no homo” disclaimer is needed. It’s evidence of a mindset in which it is a very, very bad thing to be misperceived as even possibly being homosexual and that even the slightest hint of male-male affection could present such a “danger.”

Funny part: it came just after Revere’s tweet about being “bootylicious” yesterday. Strange that he didn’t immediately feel the need to reassure us that he wasn’t, in fact, Beyonce.

In any event, Major League Baseball adopted a social media policy last year that, among other things, prohibits players from tweeting sexist, racist, bigoted or homophobic things. The “no homo” thing is the very definition of homophobia in that the speaker is afraid of being mistaken for homosexual. Let’s see if Major League Baseball sees this and does anything to Revere.

120 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. stlouis1baseball - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Here’s the deal…I made a concerted effort to “try” to refrain from using the words, “homo,” “fag,” “gueer,” etc… The reason I did this is society. Not necessarily gay people.
    My neighbors (life long couple) are gay and I regularly use the term “that’s kind of gay” around them. Of course…I sometimes use other terms. But this is different in that we have known one another for years and we are very close friends. I have also told them I love them (and they have done the same with my Wife and I). The most recent time was last week. We were having drinks and I told one of them (the Husband in the relationship) that I loved him but he shouldn’t feel this gives him free reign to grope, ogle or otherwise feel me up. He laughed hysterically…told me I was “safe” and made me another drink. Long story…long…dude is a great guy with a wonderful sense of humor who DOESN”T TAKE HIMSELF (OR ME) TOO SERIOUSLY!

2. km9000 - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Funny thing is, he doesn’t even say “I love you too,” just “I miss you too.” Oversensitive much? Does he shake hands with guys and quickly say, “Look, just because we touched hands, doesn’t mean I have romantic feelings for you, okay?”

If he sees absolutely nothing wrong with “no homo ,” he should have no problem using it after expressing his love for his teammates in a postgame on-field interview.

3. bh192012 - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Those of you who appear to be very offended by his tweet, let me ask…. Would his comment have been any more or less offensive if he said “miss you too, in a hetro way” Personally I just can’t seem to get all that worked up over it.

I love you.
    I am a heterosexual.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

That would be a good point if “hetero” had a history of being used as an insult like “homo” does.

• historiophiliac - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I bet if he thought you loved him back, he wouldn’t have said it.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I love everyone. That’s kind of my thing, man.

-Jesus (as portrayed in The State….and now I have to watch The State).

• mikhelb - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM

It has a history of being used in a derogatory way at least in spanish speaking countries and yet when people use the “no homo” equivalent in spanish, they’re criticized A LOT.

And this from a society where social stigmatas are lighter than in the US where everybody is labeled because of their looks, background, skin color and religion.

Just the other day I was reading an article written by Passan about Taijuan Walker, and he said:

Taijuan happens to be black (paraphrasing Carlin: it sounds like he is black by accident or by his own decision), of hispanic heritage, and his mother is a white mexican.

That’s one of the many differences in two neighboring societies.

When you ask an hispanic about somebody he can tell you: aah he’s the black guy with that blue shirt.

When you ask somebody born in the US (even hispanic people): aah he’s the half african-american, half argentinian, agnostic who happens to be dressed with a blue t-shirt.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Protests too much?

5. moogro - Sep 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM

The reason this post has 100 replies is the animus by the men who rehearsed themselves out of a bad habit, and the animus of those that haven’t yet.

6. mpzz - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM

So now it’s a horrible crime just to say you’re not a homosexual? And it’s also a crime to refer to someone or something as being a homosexual?
    Getting a little, no, a LOT ridiculous!

7. coloradogolfcoupons - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Well we might as well take all this PC crap and get totally pedantic. “No homo” means you are not human, since we are HOMO SAPIENS. So “No Homo” is really a secret sign from one alien to another as a way to find each other.

Now, if you are worried about people thinking you are a homoSEXUAL, then SAY IT! “NO HOMOSEXUAL”….not “no homo”…because the aliens might mis-interpret your meaning, beam you up, and PROBE you, which would be kind of ironic when you think about it lol.

Because I don’t really want to know how many aliens are walking among us. I am already too worried about the homosexuals, homophobes, lesbians, tree huggers, save the whalers, Drunks Against Mad Mothers (DAMM) and everybody else that is different from myself. That will be all.

8. jdillydawg - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Gee, I hope he doesn’t get cooties…

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3714)