Sep 6, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
General manager Kevin Towers got a lot of praise earlier this season when the Diamondbacks were in first place, but now that they’ve fallen well behind the Dodgers and nearly out of the playoff picture “blame” is a popular discussion topic in Arizona.
Here’s what the GM told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:
People always wonder, who are you going to blame? Is it the manager? Is it the players? Is it the GM? To me, it’s the organization. It’s all of us. There’s areas where we could all be better. I’m sure there are things that [manager Kirk Gibson] could do differently, will do differently, to make him better. The players, same way. Myself, there’s probably moves or things that if I had to do it over again, I’d do it differently.
It’s worth noting that the Diamondbacks are 71-68, so it’s hardly been a disastrous season, and they’re on pace to be a handful of games better than last year. Still, the Dodgers’ amazing surge combined with the Diamondbacks going 41-44 since June 1 has the heat rising and Towers hasn’t said for certain that Gibson will be back in 2014.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 338
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 78
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (338)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (143)