Sep 6, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
I don’t much care for expanded September rosters, but it’s more of a conceptual thing for me than it is about some concern of grave injustice being done.
I don’t like teams with uneven amounts of players playing because it messes with my love of symmetry and fairness. I don’t like it when someone empties an 11-man bullpen because that either denotes or sometimes causes a sloppy game. I fear that it may impact playoff races inasmuch as some teams are using spring training rules while others are trying, but if I’m being honest I can’t point to any instance in which this has actually occurred. It’s a potential problem, but my predisposition to hate expanded rosters aside, I doubt it’s actually a pressing, real problem.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today talks to many in the game who do, however, and frames it thusly:
It is the most asinine rule in baseball.
It directly impacts the pennant races, alters the integrity of the game, and could mean the difference between a team sitting home or playing in Game 7 of the World Series.
I agree it’s a dumb rule. I’d change it or make it uniform or whatever. But I really do think that the concern of folks like me should be reined in a bit by the absence of any actual evidence that it’s caused real, significant harm.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)