Sep 6, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
St. Louis activated Jake Westbrook from the disabled list, but the Cardinals are not moving him back into the rotation. Or at least not yet.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are still trying to figure out a role for Westbrook, who was shut down with a back injury after going through a stretch in which he allowed 26 runs in 21 innings. And dating back to mid-June he has a 6.68 ERA with more walks (27) than strikeouts (22) in 63 innings, so a low-leverage relief role would seemingly make the most sense initially.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 3
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)