Sep 6, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
St. Louis activated Jake Westbrook from the disabled list, but the Cardinals are not moving him back into the rotation. Or at least not yet.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are still trying to figure out a role for Westbrook, who was shut down with a back injury after going through a stretch in which he allowed 26 runs in 21 innings. And dating back to mid-June he has a 6.68 ERA with more walks (27) than strikeouts (22) in 63 innings, so a low-leverage relief role would seemingly make the most sense initially.
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 10
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 8
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 51
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 95
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)