Sep 6, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
St. Louis activated Jake Westbrook from the disabled list, but the Cardinals are not moving him back into the rotation. Or at least not yet.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are still trying to figure out a role for Westbrook, who was shut down with a back injury after going through a stretch in which he allowed 26 runs in 21 innings. And dating back to mid-June he has a 6.68 ERA with more walks (27) than strikeouts (22) in 63 innings, so a low-leverage relief role would seemingly make the most sense initially.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)