Sep 6, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
St. Louis activated Jake Westbrook from the disabled list, but the Cardinals are not moving him back into the rotation. Or at least not yet.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are still trying to figure out a role for Westbrook, who was shut down with a back injury after going through a stretch in which he allowed 26 runs in 21 innings. And dating back to mid-June he has a 6.68 ERA with more walks (27) than strikeouts (22) in 63 innings, so a low-leverage relief role would seemingly make the most sense initially.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)