Sep 6, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Johnny Cueto had a 3.33 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and 41/14 K/BB ratio through 48 and two-thirds innings this season, but he’s been sidelined since June 28 with a strained lat muscle. He threw a bullpen session the other day which was described as “impressive” and looks poised to rejoin the Reds soon.
But he may do it as a reliever, speculates C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer. If he did he could do what Tim Lincecum did for last year’s Giants team in providing a solid and potentially dominant long man which would give his manager an option if one of his starters had a bad go of it.
I’d be curious to see if Dusty Baker would be willing to think outside of the box like that.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)