Sep 6, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Johnny Cueto had a 3.33 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and 41/14 K/BB ratio through 48 and two-thirds innings this season, but he’s been sidelined since June 28 with a strained lat muscle. He threw a bullpen session the other day which was described as “impressive” and looks poised to rejoin the Reds soon.
But he may do it as a reliever, speculates C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer. If he did he could do what Tim Lincecum did for last year’s Giants team in providing a solid and potentially dominant long man which would give his manager an option if one of his starters had a bad go of it.
I’d be curious to see if Dusty Baker would be willing to think outside of the box like that.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 8
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 100
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 158
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (158)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)