Sep 6, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
Marlins starter Jose Fernandez padded his NL Rookie of the Year and Cy Young cases with seven outstanding innings against the Nationals tonight, bringing a no-hitter into the sixth inning. The Nationals stood no chance, recording just one hit — a squibber down the third base line by pinch-hitter Zach Walters with one out in the sixth — against the Marlins’ rookie while striking out nine times.
Marlins manager Mike Redmond pulled Fernandez after seven as he had thrown 94 pitches. The team plans to shut Fernandez down after his next start, which could come on Wednesday against the Braves. With 165.2 innings pitched, a career-high at any professional level for the 21-year-old. He has struck out 182 batters and posted a 2.23 ERA, putting himself firmly in the NL Cy Young discussion along with Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers and Matt Harvey of the Mets. His biggest competitor for the NL Rookie of the Year award is Yasiel Puig of the Dodgers.
The Marlins gave Fernandez plenty of support, scoring five runs in three innings against Nationals starter Dan Haren. Logan Morrison crushed a two-run homer against Haren in the third inning, officially measured at 484 feet, a Marlins Park record. Giancarlo Stanton added a run in the eighth with a solo home run, his 19th of the season as the Fish went on to win 7-0. The Braves lost 2-1 to the Phillies, so the Nationals remain 14 games out of first place. The Reds won, dropping the Nats eight games out of the second Wild Card.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)